E-MU 0404 Distortion Problems
Aug 29, 2004 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tempest811

New Head-Fier
So I am using Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro's (80 ohm). The EMU 0404 was strongly recommended and I bought it but I have a big problem...

IT DISTORTS AT MODERATE VOLUMES!!!

Here's my settings. I don't know a lot about this god damn mixer program but look at where I have the volumes. I just happened to take the screenshot right when it wasn't peaking....but basically the volume is about at a moderate level and beginning to already distort. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?
I've tried pretty much every combination of level on each slider and the one pictured produced the best yet still disappointing results.

card.jpg

Please tell me my one birthday present wasn't a waste..

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 21
I have the 1212M. I think the DPS is the same if not close. I found the +4 session that I created for my Foobar setup was a bit "too hot". I find better control overall with the -10 session setting. You might try that.

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 21
Why do you have your PAN settings set to mono (0 for both channels)? That will add both channels together in the mixing process, so it will begin to distort at least 10 dB below the "hot" line, I think.

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 21
Your WAVE L/R strip volume is at -10.88 and your main mix volume is at +12 which yields + which will cause clipping. Rest them back to 0.

Aug 29, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Your WAVE L/R strip volume is at -10.88 and your main mix volume is at +12 which yields + which will cause clipping. Rest them back to 0.

Exactly. If it keeps clipping with both at zero, continue to lower the volume until it stops.

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 21
Okay, my WAVE L/R and MIX are both at 0 but now the volume is even lower... :/

I tried messing with the pan settings and put them where they 'should be'. They seem to distort a little more there than at 0.
and ANOTHER problem I have found: this card is not sending my headphones stereo sound. The pan's are normal...but still no stereo :/

Budley, I have no idea what you mean by 'sessions'?

Like, seriously, guys...i'm getting less volume for the quality out of this card than my Soundblaster Live!

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 21
You aren't getting enough volume? Looks like you need an amp. This card doesn't have a headphone amp.

Pan should be -90 and 90 as that was stereo is. Setting both would yield you mono.

Aug 30, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 21
sorry for jacking up the thread but i might be having the same problem.

some of my 320 CBR mp3s clip harshly yet all flacs play fine. i tried soft clipping limiter, replaygain attenuation, advanced limiter, messing with trim pot/main mix volume level, different sample rates and whatnot.

EDIT : What, this is really bizzare. the clipping is quite inconsistent - it happens on one spot and when i play it again it doesnt at that spot, yet does the next time and so on...
eek.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 21
Im curious as to how you guys have them hooked up to your headphones/amp. If you're having problems with stereo separation it may be due to using stereo cables when the Emu out's are mono.

And it should power your 80-ohm Beyer's with no problem; they play my headphones ranging from 64ohm to 300ohm louder than I would ever listen, but it does have trouble powering low-impedance cans (directly, that is).

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 21
wow, that was just about the most random thing with the emu ever... restarted and problem gone! i listened to the same song (D. C. Da Capo - 風見學園校歌) just to make sure and no signs of any clipping
redface.gif
well i guess at least its a turn for a better
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 21
from headphones to card I go:

Headphones -> stereo 1/4" headphone jack that splits to Right/Left RCA -> RCA to mono 1/4" Headphone jack adapter -> each R and L analog outputs.

It's definately having a problem driving these headphones. I'm fully disappointed.

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 21
Don't be disappointed. Most sound cards are not meant to drive headphones. Just buy a cheap headphone amp or A/V reciever and you will get better volume. You have a great card, it's just not meant to be a source and an amp.

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It seems that EMU cards tend to distort with lower-impeadence headphones.

80ohms should be fine... they drive my 64 ohm Senn hd280pro's with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back