E-mu 0404 and games?
Mar 3, 2005 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Frank M

100+ Head-Fier
Hi again!

So I got a 0404 today
biggrin.gif

I have an Audigy and first thought that I'd use the Audigy for gaming and the 0404 for recording and listening to music. However, Windows only let me select playback, recording and synth... so no gaming-on-one,-listening-to-music-from-other choices
frown.gif

I read a few threads about some people having problems with games when using the 0404. Some said that downloading the new drivers/firmware can remedy this problem, but that update also causes more trouble and conflicts with Audigy cards.

Now, I don't care about EAX, and I only have stereo speakers, and don't plan on upgrading to 2.1/5.1/7.1/whatever speaker configuration, it's much more likely that I'll get studio monitors. So, the only thing I'd keep the Audigy for is gaming - and that it works with most of my programs, while the 0404 is only recognised as a synth module by many. If the 0404 works for games, I'll ditch it - if not, I'll have to run the audigy with the speakers for most of the things, and the 0404 with headphones for recording.

To summarize (and for those who are lazy to read the rest): will the 0404 with new drivers (and with the Audigy drivers removed) work for games?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Only one way to find out, rip out the audigy, upgrade the EMU drivers

then fire up the games. Let us know how it goes.

If you have problems with sound cutting out in games try disabling stuff like PCI Performance Enhancing, FSB/AGP Spread Spectrum.

Especially overclocks on the CPU.

Good luck.

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 11
i've had mixed results with my 1212m card when playing games on it. on multiple occasions i had no problems while playing Dooom 3 or Neverwinter Nights and then all of a sudden I'd lose sound. Anyway, to make a long story short I just resorted to a two soundcard solution. my gaming card is set for digital out that's connected to the 1212m's digital in.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 11
what i usually do is disable some sound acceleration in the game via dxdiag. this will get rid of some deleted sounds. the problem, though, is that framerates can and will drop dramatically if you disable acceleration, so try it as a last resort. for me, only shogo and mafia have that problem. but i'm sure almost every game is affected in some way or other (though it may not be as noticeable).

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 11
As a side question, has anyone had problems using it while playing on an emulator?

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
I just resorted to a two soundcard solution.

Could you please tell me how to set it up?
So I have to connect the gaming card's digital out to the E-mu's digital in, connect the speakers to the E-mu, and set the E-mu as the playback, recording and synth soundcard at "Sounds and audio drivers"? Will it cause problems if I upgrade to the new firmware in this setup?
Thanks!

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
Could you please tell me how to set it up?
So I have to connect the gaming card's digital out to the E-mu's digital in, connect the speakers to the E-mu, and set the E-mu as the playback, recording and synth soundcard at "Sounds and audio drivers"? Will it cause problems if I upgrade to the new firmware in this setup?
Thanks!

you don't necessarily have to use digital. you could also use analog, but it was easier for me to take digital/coax from the gaming card to the emu.

you're going to make the gaming card the default soundcard in windows so that all of your games use that. when using winamp or foobar than set it for your EMU card instead. also, in patchmix you'll have to insert a strip called "pci spdif l/r" if you don't have it already.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 11
Actually, in the meantime I uninstalled all drivers, took out the Audigy and reinstalled the 0404. (Of course, it wasn't this easy - so like with two or three reinstalls just today...)
The good: the games I've tried have worked! Some lost 3D sound, though, but everything works.

The bad thing: I can't record!
eek.gif
frown.gif

and that is just what I got this card for.
I can hear what I'm playing from the speakers and I see the signal in PatchMix, but it does not show up on anything (Cubase, WaveLab, FruityLoops, Audacity, Kristal, not even Windows sound recorder!)

What can be wrong here?
confused.gif

Could anyone please help?

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
I can hear what I'm playing from the speakers and I see the signal in PatchMix, but it does not show up on anything (Cubase, WaveLab, FruityLoops, Audacity, Kristal, not even Windows sound recorder!)

Do you have a send to asio or wave in the inputs?

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
Do you have a send to asio or wave in the inputs?

By reading the manual again I've now figured out how to work with Cubasis... gee, they did make it complicated! It looks like the world will not be as simple again that I plug in my bass/preamp into the line in, and then just turn on a program and record ...
plainface.gif

I still couldn't find how it works with Wavelab yet... I'll have to re-read this hundred-page manual again, I'm afraid...
rolleyes.gif
damn, why did they have to make it so complicated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back