E-MU 0404/1212 for home theater PC?
Sep 2, 2004 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HTFW

New Head-Fier
Sorry to invade your forum, but you folks seem to have more experience with the 0404 and 1212 E-MU cards than anyplace else!

I've built a home theater PC running Microsoft's Media Center and an M-Audio AP2496 soundcard. I have a boring old analog preamp/amp and currently have the AP2496 running stereo analog output to it. The sound of this card is better than most other consumer soundcards I've tried.

But, all is not well!
frown.gif
The problem is the AP2496 drivers disable the MS Windows Volume Control applet's main volume slider, which is required by Media Center to adjust the volume and mute. This is kind of a bummer.

To those of you with the 0404 or 1212, could you kindly answer a few questions? I will probably return the AP2496 and get either a 0404 or 1212 depending on your replies.

1) Does the 0404/1212 drivers/patchmixer allow you to do a simple 2 channel stereo output easily?
2) How does the audio quality of the 0404/1212 compare to the AP2496 for those of you who've tried both? (I'm assuming equal or better)
3) Does the 0404/1212 still allow you to use ALL the Windows Volume Control applet sliders? Especially the master volume and mute?

Thank you;
SteveO

Sep 2, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 16
1. Yes.
2. Dunno. I know that the 1212m sounds pretty darn good, though.
3. Yes, to the master volume and mute. I'm not sure what you mean by ALL the windows volume sliders. All of them that I have tried work with it.
The only problem you may have is that if you switch from say 44.1 to 96 you'll have to change the patch in the Emu's DSP. It's not hard but you have to do it physically.

Sep 2, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 16
So if you want to play a CD at 44.1Khz and a DVD at 48Khz you have to go to an application to switch the playback rate of the card as well?

I thought 96Khz does not work with any of the native Windows drivers anyhow?

Cheers

Thomas

Sep 2, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 16
To the thread starter: 2 channel is no problem. We will walk you through it if you decide to get an E-MU and need the help (it really is not that hard). As for the media center and the sounds/volume, that is also no problem. Just output a wave strip to the I/O card and there you go. As for sound quality, from what I have heard with my ears and opinions of others, the E-MU 1212M is one of the VERY best sound cards on the market, and the 0404 is not far behind at all. I love my 1212M, it sounds great, and the software is easy to use. Never heard the AP2496, but I did have a Revo and that is said to be equal to it, and the 1212M is superior in every aspect.

Thomaspf: yes, you need to manually change the resolution in the DSP every time you use a different one, but it is not that hard at all. E-MU is also releasing 96/192khz WDM drivers in the next update. I'm psyched
600smile.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 16
The manual switching of frequencies is a bit of a bummer. Not exactly a family friendly feature...

E-MU is also releasing 96/192khz WDM drivers in the next update. I'm psyched.

That is great news indeed!

Cheers

Thomas

Sep 2, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the feedback! I'm ordering an 0404 today and will report back on how well it works with Media Center and also how it compares to the AP2496 as far as sound quality is concerned.

SteveO

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
The manual switching of frequencies is a bit of a bummer. Not exactly a family friendly feature...

This is an enthuiasist card.

I'm just wondering how satisfying 2 Channel sound is for movies... I hope his speakers has a good low woofer.

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Movies played thru Media Center through the AP2496 using SRS 2-channel surround sound is not bad thru my KEF speakers. The bass is excellent, but I am running the AP2496 through my Adcom pre/amp so I imagine that has an effect on the bass quality anyway.

Also, I'm more concerned about good stereo audio CD playback than I am about movie/surround sound playback. So I'm willing to live with the limitations of a card like the AP2496/1212/0404 as far as home theater applications go.

Regards;
SteveO

Sep 2, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 16
The 0404 trounces the AP. You won't be disappointed.

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 16
1. 44.1kHz and 48kHz work under the same session, no switching needed.
2. 96kHz and 192kHz need switch session, and working under ASIO only currently, though support of WDM is on next driver release.

Sep 2, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 16
HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!

I am getting conflicting answers on this volume control thing. According to EMU tech support, when you install the 0404 and drivers/PatchMix, the Windows Volume Control located under: Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Volume Control is effectively disabled. For example, I could not use the Windows Volume Control to adjust the master volume and mute because it's disabled and I must do so using PatchMix.

If this is true then the EMU won't work with the volume adjustment/mute feature of XP Media Center Edition (MCE) and I will have to adjust these manually at my preamp. Why? Because MCE doesn't know anything about Patchmix, it only knows about the Windows Volume Control. If the 0404 behaves this way then I need to cancel my order and find another soundcard.

Would those of you who HAVE the 0404, CONFIRM whether the master volume slider is disabled or not in the Windows Volume Control and let me know ASAP?

Thank you;
SteveO

Sep 2, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 16
Mine is disabled as well ONLY when I have a send out through ASIO. If I do not have a send out through ASIO, I can slide the volume. Try that to see if it helps. If you do not need to output through ASIO, you are good to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back