E-commerce questions! PayPal, ebay, aliexpress.
May 11, 2017 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

EGO DEATH

100+ Head-Fier
What are the fees of ebay, PayPal and aliexpress, given the choice of purchasing which is better ebay or aliexpress and why?

What are the ways to avoid and minimise fees when purchasing through ebay? Should one always wire money over to pp manually and then buy on ebay, if so, does it matter if you pick the debit card option? What if I don't sign in to PayPal does the eBay purchase get more expensive?

Does aliexpress payment options have similar hidden fees?

May 19, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 2
eBay, hands down. Aliexpress is the proverbial hive of scum and villainy - full of scammers and dodgy dealers. Don't take my word for it though; just look at the site's rep on TrustPilot or some other site rater. I also know it from second-hand experience; a friend who has been offered 'too good to be true' deals by sellers on there.

Not really sure I fully understand your other questions. What do you mean "wire money over to pp manually then buy on eBay"? As an eBayer, you have to have an associated PayPal account and when you buy something on eBay, this is automatically debited from your chosen payment method in PayPal (this can be bank account, debit card or credit card). There are only selling fees associated with eBay and PayPal - you're not charged anything as a buyer. There aren't any hidden fees, either for buyers or sellers - both eBay and PayPal are up front about the fees you'll incur as a seller; they are set out in the help or faq sections of each site.

You also get buyer protection with eBay. I know to my cost as a seller that they invariably favour the buyer in any dispute that might occur.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back