E-cell / Hydrogen technology rechargeable batteries - Anyone Tried Them?
Mar 13, 2007 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Romanee

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone tried E-cell hydrogen/saline technology rechargeable batteries (energy cells)? I haven't found any posts here yet.

So far I've only found one company offering them retail:

E-village e-store for E-cell rechargeables

I sent them an e-mail requesting any information that would relate the capacity and performance characteristics of their AA- and AAA-sized cells to currently available NiMH AA and AAA rechargeables and am awaiting their reply. I also added a request for info on their 9V E-cell.

The technology seems very eco-friendly and reasonably priced, if their performance is favorable.

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Please copy the message you'll get here, maybe I'll buy those instead of the I-Power for my Portaphile.

Sounds like a winner to me :

• Same advanced technology that powers today’s Hybrid vehicles.
• 100% environmentally friendly
• EPA approved.
• Recharge each fuel cell over 1000 times.
• Saves thousands of Dollars.
• Best with High Drain Applications
• Longer Lasting

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 12
I'll post their reply as soon as I get it.

What caught my attention was Graham Slee noting that in searching for the optimal cell for his upcoming Voyager portable amp he settled on an "E-cell". I don't know if he seriously thought us Yanks would be familiar with it, or that was a bit of tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, it got me searching.

Aside from automotive applications, and slight references to photo equipment usage, I haven't yet found other similar consumer products. I expect they'll become more available – if they're really good, profitable, competitive, etc.

Someone out there must be using these … so … comments anyone?

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrAfFiT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like Ni-Mh in disguise to me. Just stick to the big brands I'd say.

It may be related to this :
http://www.americasdebate.com/forums...showtopic=1864

That could be. They still haven't responded to my emails.

Here's the text from their home page:
"The E-cell is a hydrogen based enclosed fuel cell employing the same advanced technology that powers the automotive industries hybrid vehicles. This advance technology is why E-cells are vastly superior to traditional batteries in every way when used in high drain applications such as digital camera’s, mp3 players, gaming devices, GPS, and portable CD players to name just a few.

We have also refined the Idle discharge giving the best performance possible in all other battery applications. The Patent E-cell discharges a constant current output at the same level as a 2500mAh nickel metal hydride battery. With our Even-Flow Charging System the E-cell’s out last all rapid charging applications. The E-cell is EPA approved technology and is 100% environmentally safe."

With familiar brands MAHA Powerex NiMH AA at 2700mAh, and Accupower NiMH AA at 2900mAh, I expect I'll stay with those for now. I might assume that their 9V would likewise be middle-of-the-road in capacity. Just curious if anyone has direct experience with the "EPA approved, eco-friendly" E-cell products.

BTW - Their site's video presentation ties them to "Harding Energy" who makes "Quest" NiMH rechargeable batteries -- which I haven't seen before.

Their FAQ page offers precious little detail. One Q&A item notes:
"Q. How is your product made? What is on the inside?
A. No toxic materials, its H2O, nickel based, and can be recycled."

The only part that gets my attention is "environmentally friendly" — if that's true — and some technical explanations would be nice, detailing how their product is more eco-friendly than other types of storage cells.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Hybrid cars don't use hydrogen cells.
blink.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried E-cell hydrogen/saline technology rechargeable batteries (energy cells)? I haven't found any posts here yet.

So far I've only found one company offering them retail:

E-village e-store for E-cell rechargeables

I sent them an e-mail requesting any information that would relate the capacity and performance characteristics of their AA- and AAA-sized cells to currently available NiMH AA and AAA rechargeables and am awaiting their reply. I also added a request for info on their 9V E-cell.

The technology seems very eco-friendly and reasonably priced, if their performance is favorable.

(The technology is completely echo friendly. what makes up the e-cell is a nickel strip full of thousands of little holes and a saline solution. when its charged the hydrogen atoms are pulled out of the saline solution and fill in the little holes in the nickel strip. Thus completing the curciate. you can break one open and drink whats in it and it wont hurt you. so yes id say there completely environmentaly safe and you can recycle them. whats also nice about the e-cell is they have a one year waranty where if your not sattisfied you can return them for your money back. how many batteries do you know of that have a one year waranty.)

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 12
(The technology is completely echo friendly. what makes up the e-cell is a nickel strip full of thousands of little holes and a saline solution. when its charged the hydrogen atoms are pulled out of the saline solution and fill in the little holes in the nickel strip. Thus completing the curciate. you can break one open and drink whats in it and it wont hurt you. so yes id say there completely environmentaly safe and you can recycle them. whats also nice about the e-cell is they have a one year waranty where if your not sattisfied you can return them for your money back. how many batteries do you know of that have a one year waranty.)

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 12
This looks like a scam to me. "hydrogen atoms filling in little holes in the nickel strip," since when is hydrogen gas a conductor? This makes no sense at all. The way a fuel cell works is that hydrogen fuel is consumed with a catalyst separating it into protons and electrons, and the electrons providing the current. The idea of "fuel cell" batteries that recharge on a wall charger sounds a whole like "rebranded NIMH batteries".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back