E.A.R. V20 w/ K1000s
May 24, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
If I had the money, I would own an Ear HP4 and sell off every other headphone amp I own including my prized Melos. The HP4 is hands down the best amp I have ever come across. THe V20 seems to be the real deal as well and seriously, for 5k it is not just a headphone amp but a full on speaker amp. From what I have read about it, this thing is awesome with fine speakers, so a sweet combo could be setup there as well.

Save for my cd player and the RS-1's, I bought every single piece of audio gear without having heard. Sometimes that is just the way it goes, especially with headphone gear. Most spots don't stock it, nor even sell the stuff, so hearing first is not an option. When one works hard, treating is the way to go. Congrats on a fine piece of kit man, I'm sure you will love it for years to come.

go on then make me an offer I can't refuse
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

To be honest I bought the Hp-4 on a whim. I had no idea what the tonality would be. Generally I prefer the stereotypical "tubey" sound. I just love the warmth. I love my Melos but sometimes I miss the warmth that amps like the EMP series gave me, especially the anniversary.

But who knows I will get probably get round to picking one up again. But I am getting the itch to build a speaker system again and its getting hard to ignore.

May 24, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
go on then make me an offer I can't refuse
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

Ummm...erm...what do I have to offer...I'm A+ blood-type, if you ever need any, I have your back? My kidney's are both in fine form, I could definitely give one up (though for one of those babies, I think an ML should be thrown in there
wink.gif
)

I suppose I could sign up as a member of the Redwings fanclub!
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #33 of 50
Now that's what I want to hear. Thanks for the input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Sorry if I'm late to the game, but I first heard this combination back when HeadRoom made their very first "dry run" World of Headphones Tour, and it was easily the best I'd heard the K1000 sound at that point (and maybe since). The setup was one of several in HeadRoom's high-end display, and, if I remember correctly, they had the K1000 powered by a PASS solid state amp and another on the E.A.R. V20, and I remember the latter was so much better it didn't sound like the setups shared the same kind of headphone.

If my memory of how I felt about this combination back then is worth anything, I think you're going to dig this setup when it arrives. I can't think of many pieces of audio gear that look as cool and unique, but I remember it wasn't its looks that impressed me most that day, but the sound. Enjoy, man.

b.gif

May 24, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #34 of 50
The ear v20 is an awesome amp. i listened to one with akg headphones at the headroom world tour and was blown away so you will not be dissappointed. the ear hp4 was there and was awesome too.

Frankly the best headphone amp i ever heard was the ear hp4 with the sennheiser hd600 at the headroom tour. they had it paired with some high end cd player with fancy cables so maybe it was a synergy thing. my mpx3 is good but i remember the hp4 being even better. eventually i imagine the mpx3 will be regulated to preamp duty and i'll pick up a used hp4 oneday.

i need to get together with mitch one of these days so i can check out his ear hp4 so i can directly compare the mpx3 with the ear hp4.

May 24, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #35 of 50
Wow, there's some HP-4 loving going on.

The V20 looks totally gorgeous. One was sold on ebay UK recently. A gentleman was collecting Ear stuff but had to sell them off due to divorce or something. He was selling everything from monoblocks, integrated amps.

May 24, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
It seems one member on the board has had this combo. [...] Any more input on this amp?

That would be me. It is an outstanding combination with tons of reserves to drive the K1000s effortlessly.

May 24, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #37 of 50
Congrtulations!

Sure looks impressive! Makes me associating to a small-block V8
600smile.gif

I wonder if it has the same bass authoroty?
icon10.gif

I'm looking forward to a comparison with your MPX3!

May 24, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
That would be me. It is an outstanding combination with tons of reserves to drive the K1000s effortlessly.

Yes, it was you that I was talking about. You seem to be the only person with ownership experience with this combo. I am very much looking forward to owning this beauty in a few weeks.

Did you by any chance ever run it with speakers?

May 24, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Congrtulations!

Sure looks impressive! Makes me associating to a small-block V8
600smile.gif

I wonder if it has the same bass authoroty?
icon10.gif

I'm looking forward to a comparison with your MPX3!

Apparently it was inspired by his love for the Jaguar engine. I'm a car guy too, so the resemblance to an automotive engine is definitely a plus for me.

May 25, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

How beautiful can a piece of stereo equipment be?

0010050005_916.jpg

v20_Full.jpg

Are you sure that isn't a closeup of the head of a Shick Micro Blade?
Nice amp, congrats.
tongue.gif

May 25, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Are you sure that isn't a closeup of the head of a Shick Micro Blade?
Nice amp, congrats.
tongue.gif

LOL. I don't think so, but your avatar might have been a source of inspiration.

May 25, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

No bubble bursting going on here. I figure with the Meridian G08 and AKG K1000s, a bit of tube coloration will be welcomed. I'm not so concerned abou the cost of retubing. I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Thanks for the input nonetheless.

The G08, the AKG K1000's and the V20 make an amazing combination. I actually put this very setup together briefly while in Montana last February (at Todds Montana Audio Extravaganza) and it made superb sound. You can be very proud to own it. Congratulations.

JC

May 25, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Did you by any chance ever run it with speakers?

Yes, Sonus Faber Amati Homage. Very good!

May 26, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #44 of 50
I really considered buying the V20 for my K's, in fact I spoke to Sugano San about buying his., however I just couldn't imagine re-tubing
eek.gif
So I bought the Firstwatt F1 instead, no regrets but sometimes I do wonder what the V20 sounds like. Congrats on the amp and making yourself happy and please post impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back