Dynaudio dbm50 w/ volume controller
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

apexten

New Head-Fier
Hello audio junkies, I want to pull the trigger on a pair of these speakers. My question is, do you think they would be big enough to use out in the living room.  (Read: Not for my desk top)  My distance from the speakers would be about 10- 12 feet. Anybody have these? Thanks for any replies

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 17
i got a pair arriving early next week.  will let you know how they sound....

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 17
Thank you. I decided on a pair of emotiva airmotiv 6   I will let you know how they turn out. Just out of curiosity did you order the volume controller that goes with the dbm50?

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Thank you. I decided on a pair of emotiva airmotiv 6   I will let you know how they turn out. Just out of curiosity did you order the volume controller that goes with the dbm50?

I was planning on getting the controller and still might (i haven't yet).  The stock volume setting for the DBM50s is pretty loud already and having my Mac volume at 50% is probably as loud as i need to go.  DBM50s present the sounds seemingly very analytical, clear and pure.  I love em so far.  1st set of monitors for me ever.

DAC upgrade is the next step for me.  Will most likely be the MDAC.

What's your setup with the emotiva airmotiv 6?

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 17
 I will be feeding from my computer and/or apple tv into this thing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058PLBZU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=  It seems to get good reviews I have been told it will function as a preamp to control the airmotiv 6 plus a dac + heaqdphone amp.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
 I will be feeding from my computer and/or apple tv into this thing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058PLBZU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=  It seems to get good reviews I have been told it will function as a preamp to control the airmotiv 6 plus a dac + heaqdphone amp.

why did you you ultimately choose the Matrix mini-i Balanced DAC?

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 17
Does so many things well. In fact I haven't seen anything that competes with it at that price? I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything. What are you going to control the dynaudios with?

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Does so many things well. In fact I haven't seen anything that competes with it at that price? I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything. What are you going to control the dynaudios with?

just ordered the Dynaudio Volume Box DBM 50 Monitor Speaker Control DBM50 new off ebay usa for $55 including shipping.  will chime in with how she works out.

DAC-wise, will very likely order the Audiolab MDAC next weekend and get the XLR balanced connection for the DBM50s.  one Darkhorse is the Anedio D2 DAC.  and the Violectric DAC V800 is in the mix too.  Anedio and Violectic are higher price pts though + i don't currently have a headphone amp which boosts expenses.

we'll see...

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 17
1 pair left on amazon at $420/each.  

http://www.amazon.com/Dynaudio-DBM50/dp/B008COELY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1345100118&sr=1-1&keywords=DBM50

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 17
Those are a good deal. I picked up a pair of the Emotiva Airmotiv 6 for $579.00  I have them playing right now. I will update after about 100 hours. Some gear takes forever to burn in. I have an Int. Amp in the basement that took about 2 months before it opened up. Cheers

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 17
Honestly, I dont think you can go wrong with either speaker. I personally love my Emotiva Airmotiv 6s. If they are still on sale go for it. $579.00 delivered is hard to beat.  One thing, In my setup they sounded noticably better with mogami gold balanced cables. Good luck,  P.S. I have them in a fairly large room and they sound huge for  bookshelf sized monitor.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Any news guys!? I'm about to pull the trigger as well. Selling my Yam's hs80m's.

DBM's sounding clear, deep and detailed.  Love em.

Note: Frequency response is 46Hz to 21kHz

I can crank them up well-loud and sound remains stable and clear.

Now the hunt is on for DAC upgrade to pair em with.  Grace M903 is a frontrunner right now as is the Benchmark Media DAC2 HGC:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647436/better-dac-than-the-anedio-d2-dac-sub-2000-good-with-macs-integrated-headphone-amp-balanced-xlr-outs#post_9085649

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

DBM's sounding clear, deep and detailed.  Love em.

Note: Frequency response is 46Hz to 21kHz

I can crank them up well-loud and sound remains stable and clear.

Now the hunt is on for DAC upgrade to pair em with.  Grace M903 is a frontrunner right now as is the Benchmark Media DAC2 HGC:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647436/better-dac-than-the-anedio-d2-dac-sub-2000-good-with-macs-integrated-headphone-amp-balanced-xlr-outs#post_9085649

I just got done setting up my dbm50's, playing the first tracks now. They sound quite a bit different from when I auditioned them in the store. What are your findings,
regarding burn-in etc? Do they open up at all after a certain amount of hours? They sound a little congested at the moment, without the typical thick mids, which
is considered the Dyn signature. Already read a lot online about Dyn's taking forever to get burned in... Well, I got time and I guess that is what they need.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I just got done setting up my dbm50's, playing the first tracks now. They sound quite a bit different from when I auditioned them in the store. What are your findings,
regarding burn-in etc? Do they open up at all after a certain amount of hours? They sound a little congested at the moment, without the typical thick mids, which
is considered the Dyn signature. Already read a lot online about Dyn's taking forever to get burned in... Well, I got time and I guess that is what they need. 
smily_headphones1.gif

what's your set-up?  yeah, the sound seems to get warmer the more I play them.  been such a leap in upgrade from my former junky Bose computer speakers....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back