Dynaudio BMA5 Active Monitor
Dec 11, 2005 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
These were on sale at Guitar Center for $900/pair, and having had the Dynaudio Audience, had to have these for my desk setup.

Remarkable. Set up as a 3 foot equilateral triangle, the depth of image approximates live concert hall. Standard Dynaudio voicing - detailed, effortless, smooth - but very distinct flavor; probably good for people who like Senn 650 (what I use with Cardas).

Bass really improves with brass cones and blutack under speakers on desk - essentially you can't feel vibration on desk. Before brass cones had less detail, more congested sound. Absorptive material might have similar benefit, but I've always gotten best speaker results with cones approach.

Much more refined than Mackie et al.

Dec 11, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 9
Congrats. That seems to be a fair price, although I wonder if you could have bargained it down a little more. I've never heard dynes, but the mackie hr624 was pretty nice, especially with the benefit of the waveguide, something few speakers have. Happy listening.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 9
I looked into these not to seriously awhile back, the main thing holding me down from trying a set is I don't wanna know what I will think of my actual speaker rig after (speakers in the speaker rig are Dynaudio 72se's).

I believe these can be the best of the best for that price and since its up close and frontal it would beat most audiophile setups at three times the price. of course that depends on how you have them setup of course. with my pc setup now using the jbl n26's sounding this good I am really scarred to try the D/A mon's.

Then again once you go something like this youll need the modded 404 card and how much money in power cables and what not.

I used to work at a dance club who used MA studio monitors in the dj booth, not sure of the model but they were pretty cheap. after I spent two nights there alone programming their lighting boards and using the speakers in the booth with no one around or no other noise around I will never doubt the sonics of any monitor again. the said part is they had them setup completely wrong and they used crappy cables,power,and cd player. yet that really was one of the best listening I have done even comparing to audio stores to.

I think I am leaving this thread now before I start looking at these on websites....hehehe

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Dynaudio makes some really nice monitors but I find their voicings a tad too dark (despite my liking for the HD 650).

In this price class, I'm really fond of the Mackie HR624 as well even though it lacks a bit of airiness and ethereal character that some other, especially hifi speakers have. However, it's very groovy, has plenty of bass for its size, a fairly precise imaging and good soundstage size. Only drawback is that it sounds a bit disjointed with classical music. Adam monitors in this price class are superb, too, but somewhat lack in bass response.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 9
I've been looking at those and they seem small and nice bookshelves, and cost around 1000 euro in the old europe. I am thinking about using them in a small room where I have my computer (about 2x3 meters). I have 2 questions:

1-How do they perform with classical music?.
2-Can I power them with my Corda HA2-SE?. Being active, I guess it should be possible.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 9
They are active, so if Corda has line out, you should be fine. Keep in mind, you need female XRL to so into speaker (I use RCA to XRL cables), use line out from Woo3 or GL Lite.

Second, they are one of several Dynaudio models I've had (non-active and non-nearfield), but they clearly have traditional Dynaudio "voicing" and are superb with classical music, yet can rock (but very refined rock) when you want that.

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 9
The BM5A's were satisfying till this weekend, when I had a Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer not otherwise employed. So, I set BM5A's for an 80 cycle hand-off to the subwoofer.

Wow! Did not know what I was missing. What I had was superb and clean, and I was happy. Now, I have equivalent of my former Legacy Focus with Classe electronics. Never thought the bottom-end was so important to convincing playback.

650's and Woo3 still very enjoyable, but find myself listening to LOUDspeakers again when I can. And to have this as computer speakers (my den is only place in house that is mine - 4 kids - and the room is 9 ft x 9.5 ft).

Highly recommended. I think the Dynaudios also sound better, more resolution and transparency, not having burden of full-range anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back