Dynaudio Audience 52 SE and NAD 320BEE?
May 8, 2006 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

propheci

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers to something in the $1300 range. Currently, I've been looking at the Dynaudio Audience 52 SE. One thing I'm wondering is if my NAD 320BEE is powerful enough to power them? The Dynaudios have a sensitivity of 86dB. Thanks.

May 8, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Its not as much the senn level of things with the dyna's...

I am running my 72se's (floorstaning but easier to drive then the 52se's)with 55watt class A-110 watts class AB tube amps. I would say the NAd you have will power them but youll loose alot of the life of the natural dyna sound and of course bottom end will be out of whack. Dyna's are also very picky about the quality of sound they take in so pick the best you can for the amp and source.
I would buy them and later upgrade to atleast 150 watts a channel solid state or a tube with 100 watts.

so to answer ur question..
yes it will drive the speakers..
but I would upgrade the amp later to let the speakers truly do their sound they can give.

May 8, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Dyna's are also very picky about the quality of sound they take in so pick the best you can for the amp and source.

Absolutely!
I used to own the audience 52s and now have the 122s, and wouldn't advice to use a budgetamp with it, however good, they might sound sharp or lame, while they should be detailed, dynamic, spatial and musical. (I use a primare A30, which despite the price difference is a good match).

May 8, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 11
I tried these on the cambridge 640A and found them underpowered, However If you really need bookshelves, the best I auditioned where the paradigm signature s2 monitors, It has a nice Low-end ( auditioned with a cambridge 540A ( 50 watts p.channel) but It's very refined and the treble was perfect, it sounded very airy....

I went for the b&w 603 s3 floorstanders because I did not want to compromise...

May 13, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 11
if this is a bedroom system, your NAD won't hve any problem. before my curent amp my dyns were powered by the mighty T_AMP!!! and they sounded good for a bedroom system. but it will be a different story if it's your main system.

May 13, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 11
What are your current speakers? Are you looking soley for bookshelf speakers?

I agree with the other posters. Yes, the NAD will power the Dyn's but you will not hear what they can do. What other lines are available in your area that you can home demo with the NAD? Myself and a friend have had enjoyable results pairing the NAD320BEE with B&W speakers.

May 13, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmk
What are your current speakers? Are you looking soley for bookshelf speakers?

I agree with the other posters. Yes, the NAD will power the Dyn's but you will not hear what they can do. What other lines are available in your area that you can home demo with the NAD? Myself and a friend have had enjoyable results pairing the NAD320BEE with B&W speakers.

Currently, I'm using a pair of EPOS ELS-3. I live in an apartment and don't have much room. So yea, definitely bookshelves.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. So it seems unless I upgrade the NAD (which I probably won't...), the Dyn's are probably not ideal. I was considering the Von Schweikert VR-1. A friend of mine tried them out with the NAD320BEE, and they sounded quite good.

I'm living in the bay area this summer so should be able to home demo several lines. Which B&W's did you use? Thanks.

May 13, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 11
If you like the Epos sound, you could step up to the M5. Not sure about the M12.2, but that may be a possibility too.

As for B&W, I was using DM602s with my NAD. Until my neighbor went to tubes, he was using the NAD320BEE with his 705s.

I would think you have access to a lot of brands in SF. You may want to check out Rega Speakers as well. Or NHT. I have heard some of the bookshelf models with your amp at a dealer and they seemed like a good combo.

No experience with the VR-1s.

May 14, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 11
I am selling a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8's. You may want to consider. I am selling for $1600 plus shipping. These are some great speakers and a pretty nice step up from the audience line.......
Light tan maple finish.
I will have these posted in the for sale section later....

I am willing to drive up to 4 hrs from Charlotte NC to drop speakers off.

e-mail if interested fkelly@carolina.rr.com

May 14, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by propheci
Currently, I'm using a pair of EPOS ELS-3. I live in an apartment and don't have much room. So yea, definitely bookshelves.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. So it seems unless I upgrade the NAD (which I probably won't...), the Dyn's are probably not ideal. I was considering the Von Schweikert VR-1. A friend of mine tried them out with the NAD320BEE, and they sounded quite good.

i think those VR1's are a damn good pair of speakers, especially for the price. never heard them with the BEE, but they didn't seem to need a lot of juice to sound smooth and dynamic.

May 16, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 11
Agree with previous posts. I have 62's and they take every bit of my 80 watt into 4 ohm tube mono blocks. Also didn't sound that great with 140RMS per channel into 4 ohm solid state amp. Very hungry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back