Dynamic, warm, rich IEM - $350-500
Aug 28, 2017 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vkalia

500+ Head-Fier
Been out of the market for a while, but am looking for something more grab-and-go than my SE846s with custom molded tips, and wanted to get some suggestions.

I've been reading up and there are a lot of new brands, but most of them tend to be V shaped or "neutral". I dont want neutral. I want:
- tight and deep bass (not overdone)
- rich, creamy, thick mids
- smooth-to-dark highs

Basically, a similar palette to the 846s or LCD2s. I'll listen to mostly orchestral stuff on them, but also a mix of metal, rap and rock. Source - everything from AK to triple-stacked iPod/CLAS/Conti to my Samsung phone.

I could get a pair of SE545s - had a pair, gave them to my better half, but i'd like to try something different, if possible.

Any suggestions? TIA.

ETA: My top candidates at present is the Audio Technica ATH-E70 and possibly the Noble Audio Sage, if i can get a chance to hear it.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi Vkalia,

This is just personal preference & also source dependant but my everyday IEM is the E 70, you definitely can't go wrong with your music choices as my music choices fall in the same range yours does.

It is also part of AT's pro range so you can't go wrong if you want something which gives good detail, clarity, accuracy on top of what you're looking for.

If you can demo them, I suggest you do.

Hope this helps...

Have a great day !

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for that, @PaganDL. Will be checking them out on the 4th before buying.

I no longer buy based on online reviews anyway (i was reading a well-known headphone site that described a headphone as having stronger-than-usual bass, forward mids and extended highs!!! Basically, it seems as though he had turned up the volume a bit more). Plus, i dont get this current vogue where the sound of headphones is described with bass/mids/highs separated. I'd rather have the description based on timbral accuracy and impact, but it seems you and i are a relative minority in our choices of music, in the headphone world.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Maybe check out a Campfire Nova and see what you think. Not sure if it will meet your warmth requirement but it is an outstanding IEM in your price range. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks - i have Campfire on my list to try out as well, because i did want to try out other sound signatures as well. I will add this to my list as well - who knows, for more casual listening, i might find them better. And surprisingly, i do enjoy listening to music on my HD800s, so i dont have an issue with treble done right, i suppose.

My to-audition list as of now consists of:
- Noble Audio Sage
- Audio Technica ATH-E70
- CA Orion & Lyra II -> will add Nova to this as well
- UM Martians
- Fender FX7 (or 9s? Forget the model number)
- 64Audio U3
- Westone W40

And in case they blow me away and i decide to spend more, Fidue A91s. Based on reviews, they seem pretty much ideal for me.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Update - so i tried out the following:
- Westone W40s and W60s
- Unique Melody Martians
- 64Audio U6, U4 and U3
- Noble Sage, Dulce Bass & Djangos
- Fidue A91
- Fender 7s

Short version:
- Found the Martians too bright
- The Sage, Dulce Bass and W40s all had their unique sound but none of them really got it right, when it came to the sound. With all of them, i was listening to a sound signature, and not a replication of the sound of an orchestra
- The W60s and Djangos, OTOH, flat out nailed it. The W60 isnt just a slightly better version of the W40 - it is on a different level altogether. Same with the Django. With both of these, i was able to focus on the music. Came very close to buying them but i would have preferred something a little cheaper, for what are going to be secondary use IEMs.

At another store, I tried the other IEMs.
- Fidues sound very nice but i was struggling with gettin them to fit my ears
- The 64 Audios were a revelation: I found the U4/6 to be a bit more euphonic, but in the end, i think the U3 was a more neutral sound (neutral as in, closer to how live music sounds, not neutal as in flat FR)
- The Fenders i put on, listened for about 15 seconds and took off. Meh

I now own a pair of U3s.

However, the W60s and Djangos appeal to me enough that i may pick one of them up at some point later as well.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Update - so i tried out the following:
- Westone W40s and W60s
- Unique Melody Martians
- 64Audio U6, U4 and U3
- Noble Sage, Dulce Bass & Djangos
- Fidue A91
- Fender 7s

Short version:
- Found the Martians too bright
- The Sage, Dulce Bass and W40s all had their unique sound but none of them really got it right, when it came to the sound. With all of them, i was listening to a sound signature, and not a replication of the sound of an orchestra
- The W60s and Djangos, OTOH, flat out nailed it. The W60 isnt just a slightly better version of the W40 - it is on a different level altogether. Same with the Django. With both of these, i was able to focus on the music. Came very close to buying them but i would have preferred something a little cheaper, for what are going to be secondary use IEMs.

At another store, I tried the other IEMs.
- Fidues sound very nice but i was struggling with gettin them to fit my ears
- The 64 Audios were a revelation: I found the U4/6 to be a bit more euphonic, but in the end, i think the U3 was a more neutral sound (neutral as in, closer to how live music sounds, not neutal as in flat FR)
- The Fenders i put on, listened for about 15 seconds and took off. Meh

I now own a pair of U3s.

However, the W60s and Djangos appeal to me enough that i may pick one of them up at some point later as well.

I wanted to start a similar thread, but searching I found yours.
I have the exact sound preference as in your 1st post.
I'm not a regular IEM user, I have some SoundMagic E10 and the HTC 10 IEMs that I use rarely, because I don't like the claustrophobic / in-my-head sound of IEMs. But for the rare occasion when I cannot use full-size headphones I'd like to have a better IEM.
My only requirements are: this warm sound signature that you describe, over-the-ear style cables, comfort, as open-sounding as possible.
Can you (or others) recommend an IEM around $100 having this characteristics?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 8
I wanted to start a similar thread, but searching I found yours.
I have the exact sound preference as in your 1st post.
I'm not a regular IEM user, I have some SoundMagic E10 and the HTC 10 IEMs that I use rarely, because I don't like the claustrophobic / in-my-head sound of IEMs. But for the rare occasion when I cannot use full-size headphones I'd like to have a better IEM.
My only requirements are: this warm sound signature that you describe, over-the-ear style cables, comfort, as open-sounding as possible.
Can you (or others) recommend an IEM around $100 having this characteristics?
Thanks!

Sorry, just saw your post.

Honestly, at $100 I dont have a recommendation - Shure SE215s, maybe, although it has been a while since i owned them. But if you can get the Massdrop Noble Xs, they will fit your bill. I am tempted to sell my U3s because the Noble Xs give me a very similar sound and considering these are my "beater headphones", the cheaper option is preferable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back