Dynamic VS Electrostatic
Jun 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

milezone

100+ Head-Fier
It's been done many times before but I thought I would bring up the issue again since it's so pertinent to the dillemas we spend such a large chunk of our lives thinking about. As a K1000 devotee I feel obligated to side with dynamic technology however I'll admit truthfully (and eternally) that electrostatics are quantitatively technically better. That being said they lack depth... I'm more interested to hear others's thoughts than preach my own. I'd love it if this thread developed in a productive way. Hope so.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Depth I'm referinngin to is the effect of reverberation. Sort of like a decay trail or a sense of sound traveling a distance out into space. I've had experience with the O2's (though never for more than a couple hours at a time. The only electrostats I have at the moment are Lambda Pro's. I'm looking to pick up a pair of O2's so I can make a better determination of what it is I'm talking about and figure out whether the O2 is an exception (which I imagine many if you believe).

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a pair of O2s.  I think they are quite good at reproducing the decay of notes that are in a recording.  But, they can sound quite dry when the recordings lack reverberation.  The O2s are quite free of resonance and so they don't add such to the signal which accounts for how dry, cold and analytical they can sound with certain recordings. 

Also, to varying extent, most listeners like added resonance that warms up the sound.  That accounts for a lot of the differences in opinion about different models of speakers.  I can understand how offputting the sound of the O2s can be because of the difference in type and amplitude of resonance from dynamic phones.

When I listen to vinyl, I am surprised how unobtrusive ticks and pops sound with the O2s, as compared to dynamic phones and speakers.  I suspect that the reason such abrupt impulses are less intrusive is because they come and go very without much reverberant overhang.. 

I also think that the O2 is VERY difficult to match with other upstream components and can sound analytical and dry with a lot of gear.  For example, I did not like the phones with my Levinson No. 32 preamp,; found them to be decent with my current tube linestage (Emotive Audio Epifania); and heard them at their best with a crazy expensive Kondo linestage.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 5
The O2 is a very demanding headphone. Give it the best, and it will respond. I generally don't like dynamics as I think they have too much coloration is one area or another. A recabled Beyer T1 is probably the best traditional dynamic on the market right now. Another possibility is an ortho like the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back