Dynamic, Spacious, and Bass-Capable headphones for movie soundtracks?
Apr 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fusionramjet

100+ Head-Fier
soundtracks like from Hanz Zimmer.
Even though these have classical orchestral components, I think that they can only be properly reproduced by headphones that are VERY bass capable.  The well-known problem is how to get both spacious sound [an open backed quality] along with powerful effortless reproduction of the entire frequency spectrum, including bass [typically a closed quality].
From what I've read, the following seem like they could fit these requirements [more or less]:
Beyerdynamic T1 
Ultrasone Pro 2900
Hifiman HE-6/500/400
Audeze LCD-2/3
I've read that orthodynamics have narrow soundstages.
From what I've read, I'm not sure if the Beyerdynamic T1 has enough bass [i like some bass emphasis].
I have the Stax Lambda Signature, and it lacks visceral weight.  I understand that the Omega has more, but I doubt that electrostats would feel weighty enough.

Does anybody have any input on this?
Thanks!

​

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 12
Hans Zimmer music has plenty of 20hz content, I don't think you'll ever get a headphone to properly give you a 20hz rumble.  LCD-2 will probably come closest, although you might want to ask some LCD-2 owner to go and play 20-30hz test tones in audacity or something and see if they get adequate response.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
soundtracks like from Hanz Zimmer.
Even though these have classical orchestral components, I think that they can only be properly reproduced by headphones that are VERY bass capable.  The well-known problem is how to get both spacious sound [an open backed quality] along with powerful effortless reproduction of the entire frequency spectrum, including bass [typically a closed quality].
From what I've read, the following seem like they could fit these requirements [more or less]:
Beyerdynamic T1 
Ultrasone Pro 2900
Hifiman HE-6/500/400
Audeze LCD-2/3
I've read that orthodynamics have narrow soundstages.
From what I've read, I'm not sure if the Beyerdynamic T1 has enough bass [i like some bass emphasis].
I have the Stax Lambda Signature, and it lacks visceral weight.  I understand that the Omega has more, but I doubt that electrostats would feel weighty enough.

Does anybody have any input on this?
Thanks!

​

Heya,

I listen to a lot of Zimmerman stuff myself. I find myself reaching for my Denons out of all my headphones for sound tracks with that super movie feel.

Very best,

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Hans Zimmer music has plenty of 20hz content, I don't think you'll ever get a headphone to properly give you a 20hz rumble.  LCD-2 will probably come closest, although you might want to ask some LCD-2 owner to go and play 20-30hz test tones in audacity or something and see if they get adequate response.

^ This.

Audeze owns all in terms of capability for high SPL sub/low bass without distortion. The r2s are pretty darn open sounding too.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 12
i've listened to quite a few movies on LCD-2 and have been completely blown away, much more than T1 for sure.

of course, this is the movie, not just soundtracks.

the LCD-2 definitely can play that low 20hz stuff in movies for sure though, thats what i like about them,  they can surprise you at times.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 12
I can't imagine how good the LCD must sound for that type of stuff if it can adequately give the rumble of 20hz while still being fast enough to keep up and play a full on orchestra at the same time.  Every other headphone I've tried turns to goo below 30hz.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for your input everybody!  Is the LCD-2's soundstage too small/congested to sound great with soundtrack music?

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 12
^ not at all.

its not the best choice in terms of soundstage, but its not bad either, it'll get the job done.

and when it comes to bass, its unmatched IMO for those LFE and deep bass notes in movie soundtracks

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 12
The bass on LCD-2 (highly recommended) is amazingly deep, punchy and weighy with wider soundstage, very detailed full midrange and detailed highs.

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 12
Here's an answer on the soundstage issue for the LCD-2: It has amazing instrumental separation and definition, but doesn't have the widest soundstange on Earth. It's got great positioning, but the space in the sound is not as wide as, say, a T1.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 12
 ​
Thanks everyone for your replies!​
 ​
I read a post of someone comparing the HE-500 with the Ultrasone Sig Pros and Denon D7000 and copied/pasted it below.  Any thoughts on if orthodynamics feel like two speakers next to your head [in a bad way]?​

Sound Quality: The HE500s are a tad darker than the Signature Pros and they lack in detail separation and their soundstage is very limiting; it feels like two really close speakers right next to your ears and not very musically interesting - I really appreciate a 3D / natural sound which I think the D7000 and SP produce.
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back