Dynamic Response of Headphones (...again)
Jan 19, 2005 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
Which has a wider dynamic response...electrostatic or dynamic headphones? Does the name answer the question?

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 5
What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean "dynamic range," as relates to the difference/ratio between the quietest and the loudest sounds that a headphone will render?

Erm... hard to answer as dynamics and electrostatics have a fairly different sound signature, which makes comparisons of exact minutae difficult, at least for these untrained ears. I will say that in my experience, electrostatic headphones can play louder without distortion, and portray microdetail in a more relaxed manner - which, to me, implies that they have the ability to portray both a highly textured loud sound and a highly textured quiet sound simultaneously, without distorting either sound, or making the quite one louder than it should be, and vice versa. Ok, that probably didn't come out right, but I'm just so tired... Don't know if that answers your question. Electrostatics are usually more transparent than dynamics and can be said to lack body - though I personally disagree with this - but I don't think that answers your question either
icon10.gif

Ok, sleep...
confused.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean "dynamic range," as relates to the difference/ratio between the quietest and the loudest sounds that a headphone will render?

I would have simply used the term "dynamic range", but image the frequency response of headphone transducers changes with signal level. A FR of 16 to 30khz is likely measured at 103dB. It could very well diminish at say 50dB. (At 40dB, the signal is in the microvolt region.)

I need to do some more research. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Not sure what you really meant here ... but if this speakers analogy can be of any help: I feel electrostatics sound good at smaller volume level, while dynamic speakers are thoroughly enjoyable at louder listening volume.

Probably that got something to do with dynamic cone's 'impact' and static membrane's lack of 'damping' (whatever that means =), but that's what I hear. Since phones drivers move very little, maybe those effect would be less pronounced.

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Not sure what you really meant here ... but if this speakers analogy can be of any help: I feel electrostatics sound good at smaller volume level, while dynamic speakers are thoroughly enjoyable at louder listening volume.

Probably that got something to do with dynamic cone's 'impact' and static membrane's lack of 'damping' (whatever that means =), but that's what I hear. Since phones drivers move very little, maybe those effect would be less pronounced.

Just wonder what is considered to sound good at both low and high signal levels--thus have good dynamics. Thanks for your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back