Dynamic Range of Headphones?
Jun 4, 2004 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
I stumbled across the following diagram:
teces_063.gif

It indicates that the dynamic range of a typical speaker is 75dB. Now I'm trying to decide if I need a 24-bit CD player that have dynamic ranges of 120+ db. However, I now wonder if headphones are capable of reproducing a dynamic range even close to the capabilities of SACDs. Anyone have data on the dynamic range of headphones? (When I have time, I'll do some searching myself and post any results I find...)

JF

Jun 4, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 6
I think headphones would be comparable to speakers, except that being closer to the ear probably improves things somewhat (particularly with canalphones like Etys). As far as reproducing the dynamic range of SACD -- if you turned the volume up so you could hear the quietest sound possible on SACD and then played back the loudest sound possible, my guess is you'd go deaf instantly. No way will the full dynamic range potential of SACD ever be tapped, because it isn't necessary to reproduce music.

Jun 4, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 6
John,
i guess that what you are looking for is the best sound you can get, not the best specs, because we all know it doesn't always parallels; it's more about the product itself..
which CD player is this? did it get any reviews?

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 6
I have in mind SACD in general. I wonder if I need SACD capability that perhaps greatly exceeds the capability of the headphones (HD650 in my case). I'm trying to find a headphone mfg that publishes the dynamic range of their product. I wonder if the dynamic range is even 100 db.

JF

Jun 5, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Would this be the same as signal to noise ratio? Headphones are probably in the 70 - 80 dB range. If however you mean dyanmics (before reaching distortion), then I nominate the CD3000 and DT880.

Jun 5, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 6
I think it depends on the kind of music you listen to. Most pop music has a dynamic range of about 10 db, I reckon.

Is that diagram supposed to suggest that no matter what equipment you have, a room might limit the dynamic range to 50db?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back