Dynamic Range Compressor in VLC - WOW
Sep 2, 2015 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ike1985

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have a pair of TOTL ciems, I enjoy watching movies with them.  I was watching an action movie and decided to experiment with the audio.  VLC offered dynamic range compression, equalizer, spatalizer, etc.  When I enabled the dynamic range compression I was instantly wowed.  It was like being in one of those theatres with amazing sound at just the right volume. 

1. How does dynamic range compression work and why was it so amazing(I had it on the default settings)? 

2. Also what about the spatializer?

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Dynamic range compression increases the volume of the quieter parts, or decreases the volume of the louder parts, so that all parts are closer to the same loudness. It useful if there is too much dynamic range, where you can't hear the quiet parts such as whispering and dialog, but at the same time the loud action is too loud. It's especially useful if you listen to speakers at night and don't want to disturb others. You may personally prefer less dynamic range, even though you are not disturbing others with IEMs.

I don't know what the spatializer does. I'd guess it increases the stereo width and tries to make it sound more like surround sound when you are using stereo speakers or headphones.

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Someone tell me if I am wrong about this but I think that another effect of dynamic range compression is that there is a reduction of volume difference between loud, lead instruments and softer, background instruments within a given passage.  This can result in the loss of depth.  This might be great if you enjoy listening in some detail to what each instrument is doing but it can be a problem when you think the cymbals are a bit louder than they really need to be. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Ewwwww, dynamic range compression, grossssss. *barfs violently*

Lol JUST KIDDING!  It's just my personal opinion that I really do not like the sound of it
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back