Dynamic Driven IEM
Nov 8, 2009 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

geralt_ll

Head-Fier
I am considering getting Shure's SCL2. I know that it has been around for some time, but I've not own any of Shure's products. I've read reviews on BA IEMs for Shure, and am pretty much sure that they are not my cup of tea. Since SCL2 is dynamically driven, I suppose the sound signature will be different.

For a similar price range, what other brands can I consider? Victor is not available in my area.

Ideally, of I can afford, I'd go for the IE8. But most reviewers describe it as a "fun" IEM. As for the Atrios, I'm not fond of the design, and the way it seats in the ear.

Still quite new, need to improve on my "audiophile" vocab to convey what I really want to say.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 15
Don't worry about your audiophile vocabulary. The persnickety members who would call you out on poor descriptors are probably the ones you wouldn't want to bother with anyway.

That said, you could go for the Klipsch Image S4's. They are wonderfully smooth yet detailed. They won't give you quite the bass extension of say the IE8 or Atrios, but they have enough to satisfy with most music. I really like my bass, and the S4's are no slouch. They take EQ'ing very well too if you want to tweak the bottom end some.

Just listen and enjoy, and try to genuinely note what you hear. That's all I try to do around here...
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 15
I will second the S4, they are smooth and have very good bass. But the only thing with them is that I find the highs harsh, even after 80-100 hours of burn-in.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 15
Really? Even after burn in? I guess everyone hears things differently, because the S4's sound so smooth to me! I guess I don't get any weird resonances with my ear canal shape... I found the Westone 3 much more harsh by comparison. The Victor FX500, Denon C710, and even Atrio v2 are all much harsher to me...

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 15
Don't think S4 is available in my area at the moment. Over here, besides the x10, and Custom 1, I've not seen the others sold widely.

Will the Shure SCL2 be significantly better than the cheaper Audio technicas and Sony?
Also, will it give a different compared to SF3 (eg, wider soundstage, heavier bass)?

Starving college student soon to enter the workforce.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 15
where are u from? u kinda give the impression that you cant order online

however..the only other dynamic driver that i can think of are the meelectronic iem's

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 15
You may want to take a look at the Panasonic HJE900. Nice bass, not boomy but impactful if it's in the recording. Very detailed, nice treble detail but not piercing.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 15
The FA Eterna? Heard a bulk was being organized up in one of the Singaporean forums as well... Dunno where though... :s

BUT (here's the kicker), not many people have ACTUALLY heard them besides a few Russian guys and ClieOS. While ClieOS LOVED them (ranking them ALMOST as high as the IE8 - search the forums on IEM Shootout V3), one of the Russian guys preferred the RE0 instead.

So in that sense, it's kinda an unknown quantity. I expect to get mine within 2 weeks and MAYBE then I'll post my newbie impressions.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 15
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the RE0. I mean if you want to stick to a dynamic driver, the RE0 works very well. The only note would be that the RE0 is dynamically subtle, great if your sensitive to fatigue but is less engaging and energetic then other options. It has a smooth and very broad frequency response, lots of clarity and detail, and an overall pretty natural sound (just slightly warm/dark in tone).

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Not sure how much you can get the SCL2 for but I noticed that higher end brands like Shure and Ultimate Ears are subject to ridiculous mark-ups in Singapore and Malaysia in most stores. If you don't mind ordering online, you can get the RE0 delivered for possibly less money.

I upgraded to the RE0 from the SCL2 and it is much better.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how much you can get the SCL2 for but I noticed that higher end brands like Shure and Ultimate Ears are subject to ridiculous mark-ups in Singapore and Malaysia in most stores. If you don't mind ordering online, you can get the RE0 delivered for possibly less money.

I upgraded to the RE0 from the SCL2 and it is much better.

Shure, UE, Senn, Westone... you name it, we've got it all at HUGELY marked-up prices...
L3000.gif

Not to mention we don't even have the complete Klipsch lineup over here (hellooo? S4?).

Main reason why I've been reduced to running to Chinese and (soon) Russian brands... Not that they aren't good sounding mind you, just that in other areas (build in particular - yes PR2, I'm talking about you splitting open like nuts in a nutcracker), they've got a lot of room to improve.

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 15
TBH, I was a rather biased towards dynamic/dynamically driven IEMs initially. Why so? I started out with audiotechnica earbuds (this particular series that vibrates with bass) then to innerear buds.

When I first purchased SF3, I was blown away (wanted SF5 Pro but was cash strapped) then chose Livewires Trips (over TF10). Somewhere along, I did audition Atrios and that left a lasting impression till now.

I'm opening my choices to dynamics but wouldn't want to spend too much least I regret.
Now possibly considering 2nd hand IE8.

Why I considered SCL2? I think because it used to have good reviews, and being a lower tier IEM, it has been in Shure's line-up for very long.

I don't have the opportunity to try many IEMs. The deciding factor however is if it plays "Fantasy" by The XX to my liking.

If you have IE8, Atrios, or another IEM, and have come across this track, do let me know how the bass sounds like.

Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back