Dynamic cans to match UM3X/W4 IEMs
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

RampantAndroid

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I keep looking around for a pair of good open cans to get. I currently use pairs of UM3Xs and W4 listening to music when I want to tune everything out. Now, I've poked around enough on here and on headroom's charts and all to get some ideas.

For example: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4091&graphID[]=4071&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=2751&scale=25

From that, the DT880 looks to be the closest fit. Given how low the sub bass on the HD600s is, I'm worried I'll find it underwhelming.

For amplification in the short term it'll be the headphone amp in the ASUS Xonar Essence STX card I have. In the longer term, it'll be a AMB gamma2 DAC to a unbalanced AMB Beta22 amp I'm getting ready to build.

The music I listen to really has a broad range, some jazz, a lot of accoustic stuff like the Fleet Foxes for example, some classical, some rock (red hot chili peppers and such) and some electronic (justice, daft punk) - I'm not a bass head, but I DO like having some level of impact in my music.

Additionally, these would likely get SOME use when gaming.

Given this, are the DT880s really the best choice? Are they really fatiguing due to the high frequency response? How much bass do the HD600s lack? Do they have some kick when amplified right?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back