Dynalo Build after a long hiatus
Aug 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of you may remember me from a while back. It's been about 2-3 years since I've posted on Head-Fi and I've been holding onto a couple Dynalo boards for about that long. Well now that I am done with school and among the world of the employed, I have been gradually getting back into this hobby.

This is my Dynalo build, and I'll continue posting as development continues.

If you look closely, you may notice I am not using the SK109 and 2SK389 monolithic dual JFETs as I was unable to find any (I am considering updating the design to accommodate modern, in-production JFETs). I am using the 2SJ74 and 2SK170 combo as described on Kevin Gilmore's website.

I have yet to decide on a power supply (I am using a lab supply for testing) so if you have any recommendations, please let me know.

The DC offset servo is working excellently, maintaining a nice +/- 1.3 mV offset at most.

Listening to it I can say that it sounds remarkably good and the measurements back it up, it is pretty damn linear all the way up to 200 kHz and beyond (I used a step input and an FFT measurement for those wondering, of course this is not ideal for an audio amplifier test but I didn't have a reliable white noise generator handy).

Thought I'd post this to generate some new interest in this excellent amp. Stay tuned for more updates as I put it in an enclosure and select a PSU).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back