Dynahi Transformer
Sep 15, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 24
A larger transformer can handle higher temperatures. Less chance of failure if it is cooler.

If you change from a 34VAC transformer to a 30VAC one, then you should also change the output voltage of the LM338 regulators to equalize the voltage drops between them and the OPA541 opamps.

Do you have any pictures of your transformer? Maybe someone will recognize it and you can avoid buying the same one or brand.

Sep 18, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #18 of 24
So I heard back from Plitron, and their transformers are rather expensive! Is there anywhere else I should be asking for prices? The higher-rated model is almost $90, which is more than I am willing to pay to eliminate the buzzing. However, I don't want to pay less and find out it's just as bad...

Advice please!
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #21 of 24
Thanks, I sent them an e-mail. SFT tells me "32~34V , 1A~2A transformer is fine", so I forwarded that information to them along with the original transformer specs. I suppose it can't hurt to pay a few extra dollars for a higher rated transformer, especially for a Dynahi. Can you tell me how much you paid for your transformer?

Plitron definitely took a while to reply, I e-mailed them several days ago!

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
Can you tell me how much you paid for your transformer?

My Richard Sumner toroid (80VA, single 117V 60Hz primary, dual 35V secondaries) was $34 each not incl. shipping.

Sep 18, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #23 of 24
This is a bit of a bizarre question, but here goes...

In a quiet room, with the lid of your Dynahi open, and your ear close to the transformer, do you hear anything? If yes, how far away do you have to be before it's silent? I have heard conflicting opinions about just how "silent" toroidal transformers actually are, and unfortunately I don't have anything else to compare this one with.

Bizarre question finished.

Sep 18, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
In a quiet room, with the lid of your Dynahi open, and your ear close to the transformer, do you hear anything? If yes, how far away do you have to be before it's silent? I have heard conflicting opinions about just how "silent" toroidal transformers actually are, and unfortunately I don't have anything else to compare this one with.

It's not unusual to have a slight amount of mechanical buzz, but on mine it's inaudible just a couple of feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back