[DYI NOOB] Mounting CMoy into Enclusure
May 12, 2007 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jafry

New Head-Fier
So I have my CMoy up and working but I don't know how to mount the protoboard into a mint tin can. Do I just lay it inside allowing it to slide around?

May 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 13
Yes, that is normaly the way it is done. You must line the case with something non-conductive... electrical tape, vinyl tape (clear) is my preference. Some people will use a sheet of something like teflon, etc.

The pot/jack/switch wiring pretty much holds the board in place, plus the battery(ies).

May 12, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 13
Alright, I guess that's what I'll do.

Another question about enclosures, I am almost forced to use two 9V batteries, and I have heard it is very difficult to get two 9Vs and the CMOY into a mint tin can together. Are there any slightly bigger enclosures I could use that come to mind? I've been looking around grocery stores and such, but haven't found anything just a bit bigger than a mint tin can.

May 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 13
I got two 9v batts in my CMoy tin, check sig

May 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 13
My 2-9V powered cmoy in an Altoids case. Tight fit, the batteries don't move around at all.

cmoy2um4.jpg

My advice is be careful placing the output jacks. Mine are about 1mm too high, which prevent the lid closing properly. It stays shut but is not completely flush.

May 14, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I already had my CMoy built, so I didn't really want to change the entire layout, but thanks anyway.

I took fortney's advice and used a plastic travel soap dish, a perfect size: big enough to fit 2 9V without problems and small enough to be portable.

Now I have another problem...I am getting tons of static unless I push on the input jack...sort of hard to explain so I made a movie. It's easiest to observe near the end of the video, turn the volume up and you'll hear it. I've checked all the wires, so I'm thinking maybe the jack itself is busted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTGMep5Zjnk

May 14, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 13
The jack you are using is a great jack, I doubt it is the problem. More likely, you have a grounding issue. I would check the solder points leading up to the jack (on the conductor itself and connecting to the amp) and if they look ok then it is a problem with your circuit.

May 14, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More likely, you have a grounding issue. I would check the solder points leading up to the jack (on the conductor itself and connecting to the amp) and if they look ok then it is a problem with your circuit.

X2. Take some time and reheat/reflow your connections. That would be the best place to start.

May 14, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 13
Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I'll go over my ground connections and see if I can't fix this problem.

I recently noticed another problem...the pot isn't working correctly at all. I'm thinking I may have wired it incorrectly, but I wired it according to this: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/bitmaps/annotated-evj.jpg and have gone over the connections. They are all correct as far as I can tell. It does not change the volume at all that I can notice, instead it merges the right and left channels into one, so the audio is mono...

Ugh...well I'm off to work.

May 15, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Another option then having the board slide around is to use thick double sided carpet tape on the board. The thickness of the tape will keep it from conducting with the bottom. The tape sticks to the bottom of the board and the tin. I've done this to many projects placed in Altoids tins and never a problem.

May 15, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 13
Hot melt glue works well too, is non-conductive and mouldable. In a pinch, even blu-tack could be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back