Dyeing Black Grado Pads?
Jul 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NonApplicable

100+ Head-Fier
I wan't to dye my stock Grado bowls. I know nothing about the process and would appreciate any insight.

I plan to Bleach the colour out(is that even possible with black?).Then re-dye the pads to the desired colour. Will this work?

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 17
iDye or RIT dye should work. I've used iDye on those yellow Sennheiser hd414 pads and it was a mess in terms of the end results. The dye and color looked great, but it kept on bleeding and after several tries with things like sea salt I couldn't get it to set properly. I think I soaked the pads for way too long. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I ended up ruining a few things because the dye was rubbing off on to my hands and then getting onto whatever I was touching. I gave up and decided I'm better at soldering PCBs than dyeing foam pads.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 17
just take HD414 pads and color them, there is no need to dye them first.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 17
People only dye the Hd414 pads because they are yellow and ugly. There is no reason to dye the bowls, they are great as is. I've never seen stock pads dye'd and bleach is likely to turn your pads brown rather than white. When I bleached my white socks but with black tips, the black only turned brown. I've bleached my socks like 50 times now and they are a light brown still.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 17
I was of the same mindset as you, and did some research of dying stock Grado pads. What I found was that bleach will not work on the foam.

Hope you find another way. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back