DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
May 11, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #361 of 1,447
Having compared the M17 and the 320MAX, there really is no comparison. One is good and sounds very decent the other, the MAX is just a few steps (easily) up in sound quality. I have not heard anything that can compare to the 320MAX. Spatial cues, timbre, the sound of a well recorded piano, are all there.

I have also used the line out to the Cayin 300B MKII (with Duelund cast copper caps). The effortless delivery of sound, openness and dynamics comes through with aplomb. I am using some Very fine Ken-Rad 7193s in the Cayin along with either the Western Electric 300Bs or the Elrog ER300B. So either direct out to the SR3, Utopia or Expanse or out of the Cayin, the sound is non stop excellent.

Listening to INXS Let it Ride and literally got goosebumps all over my body, not just my arms. So vast and huge is the sound and transparent. I had to sit back in my chair and just listen. I have work to do so may have to take off the headphones. lol The sound borders on stuff I would not have imagined possible.
I also like the sound of MAX which is more neutral and cleaner sounding than M17, and which works nicely with HPs like Expanse and Stealth. I think M17 and MAX are slightly different in that, M17 is a feature rich player (dual USB ports, coax DAC mode, possibility of external power supply for more power and without battery operation, dual volume adjustment via buttons or pot, larger and better screen, stand in the box, roon ready on arrival, 4 types of HP outputs that can sense HP insertion and removal, screen not getting warm like MAX, etc etc.), whereas MAX is more like a boutique hand made player that cares only about sound quality and basic player functionality. Also MAX costs 2X the price of M17. M17 is not as clean sounding but someone that is not interested in a super clean, neutral sound can as well enjoy its fairly good and dynamic sound for a much lower price than MAX.

In the end, it comes down to the budget and use cases. I like the sound of MAX and the system has been stable so far and Poweramp EQ which provides system level EQ has been working without hiccups. But which one to own is a question everyone should answer himself.

By the way, what I like about both of them is that he volume control and the HP outputs are on the same side. This should be a standart. Especially those like from Hiby and Cayin with outputs on the opposite sides of the player will never be considered by me until they fix that weird design decision.

May 11, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #362 of 1,447
No doubts about that, technically speaking, the 320Max is a powerhouse for portable and battery operated devices. However, to dream of it to be outdoing the real desktop systems for high demanding headphones is a bit much.

At least, desktop has very high voltage rails, which could be 6-7X stronger than the MaX and that is where it sets the differences. Though, it will not have the ability to be unplugged and get around.

I don’t even use my desktop system much anymore. Simply sitting comfortable at any given moments according to moods, then settle for a great phones that can be driven beautifully by 320MAX is a dream come true, and to me, that is my 800S
Do you do anything to get more sub bass out of the 800s combo. Or are you satisfied with the amount of bass? Do you get a full bodied sound out of that combo?

May 11, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #363 of 1,447
Do you do anything to get more sub bass out of the 800s combo. Or are you satisfied with the amount of bass? Do you get a full bodied sound out of that combo?
I don’t do anything at all, just plug and play, and to think it can satisfy me as much as my desktop 300B western electric system, that is not easy

May 11, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #364 of 1,447
I don’t do anything at all, just plug and play, and to think it can satisfy me as much as my desktop 300B western electric system, that is not easy
Same level of performance or ?

May 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #365 of 1,447
95% there! The last %5 would be challenged with diminishing returns. Also, keep in mind that we are talking about a $3.5K portable system that goes against my $7.5K amplifier, and the rest of the chain such as DAC/PC/PSU….

Because of that, I rather plugging it into 320Max and bring it to my backyard, rather than imprisoning myself inside and tethered to the AC sockets. To me, this is a huge win
Same level of performance or ?

May 11, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #367 of 1,447
Can anyone please compare the new 320 MaxTi to the 300 MaxTi? Thanks!

May 11, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #369 of 1,447
Can anyone please compare the new 320 MaxTi to the 300 MaxTi? Thanks!
I would say the sound is more open even than the 300MAX, and just different. That doesn't help much but I am still trying to put my finger on it, to qualify the sound. It is surreal and often that wears off, the exuberance, a device burns in and some of the qualities that were so entrancing fade some but with the MAX320, they just keep getting better. More depth and 3D. I can hear behind a voice and it is coming from a body, a person, not just voice or piano or violin or guitar in air, it has substance. It paints a picture of the sound but a truly realistic picture, not flat, not pulling your brain to "ah, great recording" but to, "ah, wow, great music!" You are there!

I have 125 hours of break in,and it seems to have settled in nicely
can anyone comment on how long for full burn in? Or am i already there?
I would say around 200 hours. Not there yet but I hear little refinements so from experience I would say 200 and you are pretty much there.

May 11, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #371 of 1,447
May 11, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #373 of 1,447
Can anyone compare the new iBasso DX320 Max Ti to the Sony WM1Z sound quality?
Tonality would be very different. Not sure if you can realistically compare them.
Yes, tonality differences, but coming from 800s, technically, this max is better due to a much more powerful output that allows the 800s to open up with more staging and better dynamic

May 12, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #374 of 1,447
Yes, tonality differences, but coming from 800s, technically, this max is better due to a much more powerful output that allows the 800s to open up with more staging and better dynamic
Oh for sure. I wouldn't use any full size headphones with the WM1Z. Not enough power. It's a DAP I use almost exclusively with the IER-Z1R (perfect synergy), whereas I like the DX300 MAX with just about any IEM I've paired it with.

May 12, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #375 of 1,447
The Max line is super versatile. My IER-Z1R always enjoy extra power from my 300 MAX Ti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back