DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #752 of 1,449
The review puts it up against the Hugo 2, which is very highly regarded and it betters it. I have heard the N8ii and compared it to the MAX. The MAX is at a different level higher.
The comparison to the Hugo 2 is not a strict one, just in passing, as was the mention of the M17. But it's good to know that he regards the DX320MAX highly enough to eclipse those two.

The Hugo 2 does not fit my use case, however, as it's a dac/amp, and I'm looking for a DAP, for the trans/portable convenience it comes with. I don't expect to take it on walks or to the park with the kids, but for moments where I'll be sat for a while, I do require it to be an all-in-one "music center." The added bonus is the extra power it provides, which would present me with the possibility to consider travel headphones, and not limit myself to IEMs.

Also, thank you for your comparison to the N8ii as well!

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #753 of 1,449
My personal perspective.

Having heard ALL the TOTL daps, AK SP3000, AK. SE300, Hiby RS8, Cayin N8ii and Shanling M9, none have convinced me enough to pay their asking price. And these daps, I’ve auditioned a few occasions, just to grasp their character and with many high res music of various genre. Despite multiple auditions, I walked away, less and less convinced they were worth their high price tag in 2023. As the sonic improvements were minimal, if not a change of presentation without any real improvement from their previous flagship iterations.

With the ibasso DX320 Max Ti, I sat down, plugged my usual music library used on all those flagship daps mention above.

Before the 5th track of my test tracks finished, I took out my wallet, passed the card to the shop staff, and asked that I not be disturbed further. Walked out the store, an extremely satisfied customer. The most expensive purchase ever made in this hobby. Utterly satisfied. The price tag didn’t even register in the head. Still doesn’t.

That was how shockingly good the DX320 Max Ti was to me. And still is.

Of course, everyone’s mileage will vary.
Thank you for your perspective.

With your experience, then, would you say that the DX320MAX would be a good to great fit for IEMs with a warm-neutral signature? That's my current preference, and I own a Sony IER-M9 that I've used with a Fiio M11 Plus Ltd for about 2 years now, and I was thinking of upgrading both IEM and DAP to a more refined combo.

As an aside, I'm still searching for the next IEM, preferably custom. Not the current priority, however.

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #754 of 1,449
For me I had the N8ii, I put it down when I got my Max and haven't picked it up since. I've even gone as far as boxing it up as there is no going back.
Whoa! An even stronger vote of confidence in the MAX vis-a-vis the N8ii!

FWIW, the N8ii is/was at the top of my interests, along with the SP3K, but for all the current TOTLs and the praises that followed them, I kept hesitating on pulling the trigger on any of them. I hope the MAX is truly as stellar as you've found it to be so far.

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #755 of 1,449
Jul 4, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #756 of 1,449
Thank you for sharing this new review. I also got a chance to read the one from Headfonics, and both are good and detailed write-ups.

However, I feel these reviews do not serve my purpose, as they do not pit the DX320MAX against other players in its price bracket, the other TOTLs that everyone is talking about, such as the SP3000, the HiBy RS8, and the Cayin N8ii.

I'm hoping to decide on my first TOTL, and this DAP showed up and made me hold on on my decision, as I was hoping to get some perspectives on how it compares to the aforementioned. Not to mention that seeing so many listings for the DX320MAX in the classifieds makes me a little wary of even taking this one seriously. However, the specs seem solid, and the write-ups do paint it in a good light, just not against any on my list of contenders...
Fair point.

Since @NaittsirK is among the few with talented ears, and is an owner of the N8ii, perhaps he can shine some light upon the N8ii and DX320MAX comparison. He didn't get to spend nearly as much time with the DX320MAX as he has with his personal N8ii, but based on what I've heard, his opinion lines up with @jamato8's

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #757 of 1,449
Had to step back and pause review work due to some family issues. Will be resuming soon...
Hey, look at us, both going through some crap behind the scenes that's causing us to put off reviews..

Hoping all gets better on your end!

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #758 of 1,449
I own the N8ii, RS8, LP6 gold, I'll do my best to borrow the dx320 Max TI, but no promises that I'll be able to borrow as my friend simply enjoys his one too much.

Would there be any benefit in reviewing it? The limited number, i would have assumed it's all sold by now.

Jul 4, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #759 of 1,449
I own the N8ii, RS8, LP6 gold, I'll do my best to borrow the dx320 Max TI, but no promises that I'll be able to borrow as my friend simply enjoys his one too much.

Would there be any benefit in reviewing it? The limited number, i would have assumed it's all sold by now.

I saw that it is still in store on iBasso's website, as well as a few other websites in Europe.

About the comparisons, DX320 MAX TI would easily be a topper in general sonically.

Lotoo will be coming with something, the new Mjolnir, but that is a MUCH larger device. I had DX320 MAX TI with me at High-End Munich, but the sheer difference in size was... Mjolnir is like 4 to 8 times larger.

When it comes to why some folks are selling the units they bought, I think it all boils down to understand that it needs to have two batteries charged, it is not small, like 3-4 phones stacked in thickness, and it can be heavy

Jul 4, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #761 of 1,449

I’d absolutely be interested in a review pitting the DX320MAX against your three, assuming you can pry it from your friend!

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #762 of 1,449
I’d absolutely be interested in a review pitting the DX320MAX against your three, assuming you can pry it from your friend!
The only thing which stopped me from buying the max is the mango OS. Sonically, it is really good, it didn't grab me as much as RS8 on first listen, but that was along ago, and I really wanted to buy the RS8.

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #765 of 1,449
My personal perspective.

Having heard ALL the TOTL daps, AK SP3000, AK. SE300, Hiby RS8, Cayin N8ii and Shanling M9, none have convinced me enough to pay their asking price. And these daps, I’ve auditioned a few occasions, just to grasp their character and with many high res music of various genre. Despite multiple auditions, I walked away, less and less convinced they were worth their high price tag in 2023. As the sonic improvements were minimal, if not a change of presentation without any real improvement from their previous flagship iterations.

With the ibasso DX320 Max Ti, I sat down, plugged my usual music library used on all those flagship daps mention above.

Before the 5th track of my test tracks finished, I took out my wallet, passed the card to the shop staff, and asked that I not be disturbed further. Walked out the store, an extremely satisfied customer. The most expensive purchase ever made in this hobby. Utterly satisfied. The price tag didn’t even register in the head. Still doesn’t.

That was how shockingly good the DX320 Max Ti was to me. And still is.

Of course, everyone’s mileage will vary.
Since I have the MAX TI I don't thinking on other DAPs iBasso absolutely nailed it! It's worth every penny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back