DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,113 of 2,804
I'm considering the DX240 as my next DAP having owned & enjoyed the DX300, but found it too large for comfortable use.

Has anyone auditioned Andromeda 2020's with the DX240? Very keen to hear impressions of how they pair-up.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #1,115 of 2,804
I'm considering the DX240 as my next DAP having owned & enjoyed the DX300, but found it too large for comfortable use.

Has anyone auditioned Andromeda 2020's with the DX240? Very keen to hear impressions of how they pair-up.
Not recommend for andro.
The common feedbacks are the bass and treble become too forward and aggressive.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #1,116 of 2,804
Not recommend for andro.
The common feedbacks are the bass and treble become too forward and aggressive.
With the stock amp? I have been listening to it with many IEMs and headphones and never had that.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #1,117 of 2,804
I am using the andro 2020 with dx240 w/amp8ex. I think it sound really good. Haven't tested the stock amp at all. Never even turned it on.

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #1,118 of 2,804
With the stock amp? I have been listening to it with many IEMs and headphones and never had that.
Don't have the Andro anymore but the highs on the 240 are not 'forward' of neutral. Bass is full but in line/well controlled so I would think that anyone that bought the Andro for it's character would appreciate it on the DX240. Great earphone but if you want neutral, buy a different one.

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #1,119 of 2,804

I bought my dx240 along with the CA Polaris II. But my ears began to get tired of the overabundance of low frequencies, sometimes even humming. I ended up swapping Polaris II for Andromeda 2020. The sound got better, but I was missing something. After 250 hours of warming up the dx240, I got the sound I was looking for. Even with the electronic genres, I have heard a lot of new details and I enjoy this combination!
The only drawback of this bundle is the sensitivity to the quality of the recording, all the flaws that I had not noticed before became audible.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #1,120 of 2,804
As I put on more hours, this thing just gets better. :relaxed: The extended break in is only a good sign. If it were less informative, you'd stop hearing a difference earlier in it's maturation. I think everyone likes the Andromeda but it's the Technicolor, Kodachrome version of a great IEM and that's what you'll get from it with a correct, resolved player.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #1,121 of 2,804
A couple if weeks in and first quality issue appeared 😅😅
I have never had an ibasso product that didn’t have a quality control issue so far!!
I love the sound of DX240, but the 2.5 started letting me down, cuts left or right and problems maintaining a good jack connection, so disappointing..
Opened it, nothing wrong, just cheap parts used,,ah Ibasso, when..when
Never had similar issues with A&K L&P, Cayin Fiio even..

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #1,122 of 2,804
875151CF-D010-479A-B39A-46AAB376D89D.jpeg

Currently enjoying this set up.

iBasso DX240 w/amp8EX, Double Helix Cable -Symbiote SE v4 and Campfire Audio Andromeda 2019.
Quite well balanced, with detail, body and depth.

I might try the andro 2020with it and see how it goes. The cable pairs better witht the 2019 andro than the mw10 andro.

If i have the motivation and a quiet and empty house for a time i could go back to stock amp and andro 2020 and see how it is.

*rant about the old head-fi rule of ‘if you havent heard it then dont post impressions about it’ deleted.

——————————————

Meh. Sitting here drinking my morning coffee messing around on the internet on my phone when i could be also listening to music… as well…again.

Lets give it a quick try. (Andro 2020)

*results are inaccurate as i am using the amp8EX and not atock amp, also playing off a Micron micro sd card and not internal memory.

…but its morning and i cant be …

D531053F-C575-4FC3-ABA6-AC05DF503E21.jpeg

Beauty shot to show the andro2020 grills which identifies it as a v4. (Kids are reading Tintin lately).

4.4mm cable is Campfire Audio/ALO Audio stock. Same same as stock but 4.4!

In short the Andro 2020 sounded fine. A good pairing.

When switching to the Andro 2019(v3) there was a bit more body (mids.?).
But wait…theres more…

Usually i view the v1/v2 as more reference- but also more of v shape -comparable to later versions.
2019 (v3) has more mids than the earlier. 2020 (v4) always seemed to push the mids up even more. For a more full bodied sound. Seemed to far for my ears earlier on but i have come to like it.

Andro 2020 the DX240/amp8EX
Low gain- i can notice the lows, highs and vocals more on low gain - its not ‘hot’ though.
With mid gain everything comes together quite nicely.
High gain its too aggressive.
(Filter 4, volume approx 44).

At this point i should again switch back to the andro 2019 and cycle through the gain settings for further comparisons and stuff, but ahh its morning and i would rather make a second cup of coffee soon and read a book…

Tested with a variety of tracks.
I usually start with Adele ‘hello’ as it can show aggressiveness or scratching or how well an earphone can handle some frequencies. Plus its at the top of the Artists end of scrolling. Not an Adele fan myself.

So in short. Still need to check with stock amp and use the internal memory.
- recommended to try it with different gain settings and filters.
- buuut - i think the pairing is fine myself. (Still..see above points).

Tip. Spiral Dots++

And a happy new year all.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #1,123 of 2,804
A couple if weeks in and first quality issue appeared 😅😅
I have never had an ibasso product that didn’t have a quality control issue so far!!
I love the sound of DX240, but the 2.5 started letting me down, cuts left or right and problems maintaining a good jack connection, so disappointing..
Opened it, nothing wrong, just cheap parts used,,ah Ibasso, when..when
Never had similar issues with A&K L&P, Cayin Fiio even..

Don't feel bad, I've has quality control problems on 3 of my last daps. At least that sounds like an easy fix. I've had screen dead pixels and crappy wifi with the ak 25 mkii, and a bad jack 3.5 on my first hiby r5s. Plus I had dead pixels on 2 sony wm1a and a swelled battery on a fiio and another hiby.

I'm not too impressed with any of them on QC.

I'm assuming ibasso could just ship you another amp module.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,124 of 2,804
Don't feel bad, I've has quality control problems on 3 of my last daps. At least that sounds like an easy fix. I've had screen dead pixels and crappy wifi with the ak 25 mkii, and a bad jack 3.5 on my first hiby r5s. Plus I had dead pixels on 2 sony wm1a and a swelled battery on a fiio and another hiby.

I'm not too impressed with any of them on QC.

I'm assuming ibasso could just ship you another amp module.
Bought it on Ali, seller’s a bit of a d👎👎👎
Not sure how to get Ibasso on this..

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #1,125 of 2,804
Bought it on Ali, seller’s a bit of a d👎👎👎
Not sure how to get Ibasso on this..

That sucks, I'd hit their support with and email. Tell them the 2.5 is toast. Or maybe Paul will respond.

Luckily my defective ones were through Amazon, best buy ( 2 wm1a) and musicteck (which is great for support). Got my 240 through bloom audio and they seem awesome.

That's the bad thing with Ali, some of the sellers are so so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back