DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #346 of 2,804
Actually my price observations are not too off. In his review, ExpatinJapan wrote that the dx312 is very very similar to the dx240 with the stock amp. So this makes the price almost double. But ok, will calm down and wait, especially for the next amp for the dx300.
That's a good idea. And maybe you should try the DX 240 for 750 euros. Have you already pre-ordered one ??? :gs1000smile::gs1000smile:

Nov 5, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #347 of 2,804
I don’t have dx240 Even though I also love Ibasso. However, I am a user and is very sensible. I need to choose what is best to use for my situations, and needs.

The Dx300 while having a different DAC, also has similar specs disclosed to dx240, but there is a key take away. The Dx300 has a more dedicated power supply. If you counted in that power supply is everything, then the Dx300 is unique!!

It has that unique dual batteries with one single charger by usb C. This allows the Dx300 to run the DAC by one dedicated battery and amplifier by another. The Dx300 is a miniaturized MAX. It also can be used in Android mode, and last easily for 15 hours (no small feast for all Android DAPS, not even Sony can compete)

From the point of modifications view, the Dx300 has a larger amp modules for more components, and easier to modify.

In the end, if anyone love the Max series and it dedicated supplies, then the Dx300 is a more portable platform to take on the go, and with batteries that last for a while, possibly the longest Android DAP yet.

Nov 5, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #348 of 2,804
The batteries in Dx300 is true Dual type, even the Max series doesn’t get the modular design.

While fitting inside the main unit Dx300, the amplifier battery is nothing related to the Dx300 main unit, except that it is feeding the data of it capacity, charging purposes. This battery is then routed toward the amplifier module all by itself. Regulations and power supplies are all happening on the Amp modules.

Speaking of the dedication of design. The MicroSD card is sitting right on the mainboard of Dx300, unlike the FiiO M17, which runs a Ribbon cables style from daughter board into the main board.

The Dx300 design is of it own kind, and is considered to be the next generation from being a modular platform in my point of view. It is worth every Penny.

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #349 of 2,804
At least the dx300 is not worse:)

In the DX300 you have a screen that is much more comfortable than small screen of the DX220 (DX240) if you use Tidal, Deezer or Spotify, or watch video clips. Would you change your big smartphone to the Nokia 3310 in 2021, just because the call quality is equal? :)

I pre-ordered DX240 as a replacement for DX220, but not the 300.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #350 of 2,804
The batteries in Dx300 is true Dual type, even the Max series doesn’t get the modular design.

While fitting inside the main unit Dx300, the amplifier battery is nothing related to the Dx300 main unit, except that it is feeding the data of it capacity, charging purposes. This battery is then routed toward the amplifier module all by itself. Regulations and power supplies are all happening on the Amp modules.

Speaking of the dedication of design. The MicroSD card is sitting right on the mainboard of Dx300, unlike the FiiO M17, which runs a Ribbon cables style from daughter board into the main board.

The Dx300 design is of it own kind, and is considered to be the next generation from being a modular platform in my point of view. It is worth every Penny.
It is only relevant if you are into this hobby at your level as a Dap surgeon😁

I had that "oh but it does have dual battery" thing too many times now.

Who cares how many batteries it has. Its not some sort of miracle making it an unbeatable dap.
Its just a well performing dap in its tier with its own pros and cones like any other

It does not outperform pricier R8 or by a long shot SP2000 when it comes to sound performance.

It might contribute to battery life as you said. But if having 2 batteries means it has to be as big as it is this is not a massive feat is it. R8 has the same battery life while being smaller, just heavier.

I am only talking from a perspective where dap sound performance first and foremost than it has to be portable otherwise just get dx300Max or other desktop gear.

I understand there are people who need big screen to listen to music. Or need 4no cyrrus dacs to run whatsapp or facebook videos.

But the way i see it. Dx240 is how dx300 should have been released lol.

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #351 of 2,804
It is only relevant if you are into this hobby at your level as a Dap surgeon😁

I had that "oh but it does have dual battery" thing too many times now.

Who cares how many batteries it has. Its not some sort of miracle making it an unbeatable dap.
Its just a well performing dap in its tier with its own pros and cones like any other

It does not outperform pricier R8 or by a long shot SP2000 when it comes to sound performance.

It might contribute to battery life as you said. But if having 2 batteries means it has to be as big as it is this is not a massive feat is it. R8 has the same battery life while being smaller, just heavier.

I am only talking from a perspective where dap sound performance first and foremost than it has to be portable otherwise just get dx300Max or other desktop gear.

I understand there are people who need big screen to listen to music. Or need 4no cyrrus dacs to run whatsapp or facebook videos.

But the way i see it. Dx240 is how dx300 should have been released lol.
That's what i meant. I really dont give a f ck how big the screen is. Sure searching through the Tidal is very comfortable but it was already good on the dx220. Good enough for most of us tbh. I was rather thinking that this size is due to the technology implemented inside but from the current reviews it seems that the dx300 doesn't have noticeable advantage over the dx240 sound wise. I know I'm bitching here and many started considering me as annoying guy but the numbers show one thing and the ears show something else. The only thing which can defend the dx300 in the future is some monster amp which will boost his performance really high, to the point where the dx240 will get smashed completely. The only thing which really shows off is the battery life of 15h comparing to 10h of the dx240. That's all. Or the dx300 sounds noticeably better but none confirmed this fact until now.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #352 of 2,804
That's what i meant. I really dont give a f ck how big the screen is. Sure searching through the Tidal is very comfortable but it was already good on the dx220. Good enough for most of us tbh. I was rather thinking that this size is due to the technology implemented inside but from the current reviews it seems that the dx300 doesn't have noticeable advantage over the dx240 sound wise. I know I'm bitching here and many started considering me as annoying guy but the numbers show one thing and the ears show something else. The only thing which can defend the dx300 in the future is some monster amp which will boost his performance really high, to the point where the dx240 will get smashed completely. The only thing which really shows off is the battery life of 15h comparing to 10h of the dx240. That's all. Or the dx300 sounds noticeably better but none confirmed this fact until now.
I suppose a good thing is that iBasso gives people choice.

Was reading about after dx240 was announced and it did not look like iBasso was were intending to keep dx240 a tier below dx300 in sound performance. They simply give people like me an option of smaller dap at the cost of battery life which is a fair trade off in my book, given that battery is much improved over dx220.

I still thing dx300 has more headroom for improvement. Due to its amp module size.

But seeing how crafty iBasso are. And the fact that daps sizes are going out of hand recently. Dx240 will be extremely tempting option for its size alone not to mention price. I am curious to see what new amp module will bring.

Another thing is. I somehow think mamy compare dx240 and dx300 technical performance with a bit of bias.

I would like someone to objectively compare 2 of them with best amps available. Because from pricing perspective i dont see iBasso having such a price difference between 2 similar performing daps. Unless you count big screen and longer battery life being worth the price increase. There must be a catch otherwise.

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #353 of 2,804
Actually my price observations are not too off. In his review, ExpatinJapan wrote that the dx312 is very very similar to the dx240 with the stock amp. So this makes the price almost double. But ok, will calm down and wait, especially for the next amp for the dx300.
Thats only one focus point - the sound.

Which is the be all and end all in audio.

But the DX300 and DX240 are different daps with different internals and goals aside from sound.

Maybe look again at the various uses and aims of each dap.

Not everyone wants just a music player these days. iBasso went all out to please just about everyone with the variety of uses and functions the tech savvy digital age folks all want with the DX300. A tough cookie crowd to crack.

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #354 of 2,804
Thats only one focus point - the sound.

Which is the be all and end all in audio.

But the DX300 and DX240 are different daps with different internals and goals aside from sound.

Maybe look again at the various uses and aims of each dap.

Not everyone wants just a music player these days. iBasso went all out to please just about everyone with the variety of uses and functions the tech savvy digital age folks all want with the DX300. A tough cookie crowd to crack.
But the question is whats the purpose of a dap? To watch movies? YouTube? With it's crappy sound? As i said before- was thinking that the size is a requirement for advanced audio internals and the huge screen is just some kind of side effect (which i really like tbh). But it seems that iBasso was able to squeeze all the best and put it into a very portable chasis without sacrificing the most important thing: sound quality. I love the dx312 but i feel kinda cheated. Anyways as i wrote before, will wait for the next amp that will beat the crap out of the dx240.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #356 of 2,804
But the question is whats the purpose of a dap? To watch movies? YouTube? With it's crappy sound? As i said before- was thinking that the size is a requirement for advanced audio internals and the huge screen is just some kind of side effect (which i really like tbh). But it seems that iBasso was able to squeeze all the best and put it into a very portable chasis without sacrificing the most important thing: sound quality. I love the dx312 but i feel kinda cheated. Anyways as i wrote before, will wait for the next amp that will beat the crap out of the dx240.
Some are looking for (DX300) an entire multi media system in one for home, university, long work or plane trips
Streaming music, streaming movies with netflix etc, movies, internet, fast wifi, separate batteries to fine tune dac and amp volumes for iems/headphones and to use as line out, and also longer battery life, onboard storage for whatever and micro sd card use, more space for more impressive amp modules and the list goes on.

Then theres the DX300Max which is another conversation again.

DX240 can do most of the above but not all. Plus smaller screen and battery. But ESS dac. Also being able to use past DX220 modules is good.

Myself i just want to listen to music mostly. Via Micro Sd Card.

Though for the first weeks i watched a lot of movies and tv shows on the DX300…late at night whilst the family slept…maybe i should go back to that…my iphone is a bit too small…

Looking forward to the next amp modules for DX300 and DX240 to see what happens
Anyways i cut myself off because I am already starting to annoy myself with my own attitude. Will just wait for more reviews and will enjoy what I'm hearing.

Thats good self awareness there :)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #357 of 2,804
Anyways i cut myself off because I am already starting to annoy myself with my own attitude. Will just wait for more reviews and will enjoy what I'm hearing.
Somehow I can't understand you Do you feel cheated? But why? You love everything about your DX 300. And DX 240 is just a further development of the 220. And the DX 300 is of course bigger thanks to the AMP card. But who knows what else iBasso conjures up because there is more space on the AMP card than on the DX 240. And I'll get the DX 240 as soon as there is an AMP 8 MKII, of course also as 4.4 as AMP 8.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #358 of 2,804

I think you will find that most people (not all but a lot) are in this DAP game to find the best audio experience and aren't too concerned about watching movies on a DAP.

For me personally, I carry my iPhone 13 Pro Max around with me everywhere so I use that device for accessing everything on a daily basis (including music).

The DAP comes out with me for long trips and when I want that quality listening experience.
The Surface Pro tablet comes out with me for long trips to watch movies (hooked up to a DAP for the audio element of the movie).

I can see what iBasso were trying to do with the DX300, and I'm sure for some people that works great for them. For me personally it doesn't tick the boxes as I'm not looking for an all in one device. I prefer a device that functions for its main purpose, and for me a DAP's purpose is a portable Digital Audio Player that can play audio at the highest quality possible.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #359 of 2,804
@RIGATIO
Dont forget that a lot depends on which headphones listen with DAP. With some headphones you can hear a big difference in sound; with others you won't hear any difference. You have a great DAP anyway, even if IBasso releases something cheaper and better, it will be just progress, which you can enjoy :)

I recently listened 64 audio tia trio and u12t, these are great headphones, they sound no worse than my Anole VX, and cost less. And when I bought a Fiio FH7 with a Samurai 3 cable, I completely stopped understanding pricing in audio :)

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #360 of 2,804
@RIGATIO although as they are different beasts with different aims - i do understand some of your woe…

…i sold my amp8EX as the faster ui and battery life of the DX300 won me over.

Now i will probably never know DX240 + amp8EX :frowning2: sadface

Users who are viewing this thread

Back