DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Jun 15, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,938 of 2,804
you sure power amp didnt seem to I dont think
Same with uapp until you tell it not to access the DAC directly and then it does because the path is preset by iBasso. It's counterintuitive but worked once somebody clued me in on UAPP settings. Don't recall what it was exactly since I found no need for UAPP here and deleted it.

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,941 of 2,804
So I tried other values for amp3mod/mod and meh. I'm back to the 90nf and 470pf. The other parts I tried didn't sound as good. Got lucky here that I had these on hand and they happen to time up right. Easy to get wrong.

I can probably scrounge up another set or 2 for those that like their amp3mod but not enough to keep it installed. You'll need to order your own 2.2uf 50v silmics. If you're not handy nor absolutely positive that you're going to do the work, don't ask. If you're not willing to do the entire replacement including the Silmic vs the multi cap stack, don't ask. You'll need to extend a lead on the tants.

Mechanical layout is up to you. Blues together or opposing won't matter. Yours should be cleaner without the added tacking and replacing. I'd start over to clean it up but it works. Just report back as to what you hear.

IMG_0945.JPG

Oh, and the Blue caps are actually PET which are generally not favored as much as some others so if you're biased against these, also don't bother. :relaxed:

If you like this, you can then take the 47uf silmic's you removed and replace the 100uf caps in amp1mk2. Again remove the bypass on the 220uf and replace it with a 2.2uf 50v silmic and you'll have 2 boards that I personally prefer, YMMV.
IMG_0943.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,942 of 2,804
A question for those using Mango with an SD card library. When you update your library, do you have to do a complete rescan, or is there a short cut like the 'scan on start up' function of UAPP? I've made some file changes, and Mango doesn't seem to recognise them...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #1,943 of 2,804
Somebody needs to take me up on the amp3mod offer. I'm not one to think I can improve everything made by good engineers but I'm not a noobie tweaker either and this is good. Send me your Amp3mod board and I'll do it (cleaner than mine) and send it back to you, N/C except for shipping and $5 parts.

I get that if you're in love with it as is, you don't want to mess with it but if you're like me and want it to wake up/ clear out a bit and have even better technicalities/PRaT without losing its finesse... Still a touch on the warm/smooth side, more dynamic with a blacker background but still with that nice cohesive/connectedness. Mango player works fine with this board. If you're an IEM guy, I can't imagine a better board outside of personal preferences.

Honestly, the player is punching really high this way.

If someone that was going to sell it wants to give me theirs. I'll tweak it and start an evaluation pass around.

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #1,944 of 2,804
Somebody needs to take me up on the amp3mod offer. I'm not one to think I can improve everything made by good engineers but I'm not a noobie tweaker either and this is good. Send me your Amp3mod board and I'll do it (cleaner than mine) and send it back to you, N/C except for shipping and $5 parts.

I get that if you're in love with it as is, you don't want to mess with it but if you're like me and want it to wake up/ clear out a bit and have even better technicalities/PRaT without losing its finesse... Still a touch on the warm/smooth side, more dynamic with a blacker background but still with that nice cohesive/connectedness. Mango player works fine with this board. If you're an IEM guy, I can't imagine a better board outside of personal preferences.

Honestly, the player is punching really high this way.

If someone that was going to sell it wants to give me theirs. I'll tweak it and start an evaluation pass around.
Where does one get an Amp3 for the 240? All I've seen online is the Amp8Mk2.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,945 of 2,804
Where does one get an Amp3 for the 240? All I've seen online is the Amp8Mk2.
You had to be one of us that got it with a review. Limited run. Stock, it’s cool and a different flavor of good to amp1 or 8, not better unless it suits you that way. I just think I got lucky with this voicing and would like to share. I sure don’t think I’m better than iBasso but it’s refined and rhythmic with more space while staying connected. I’m not bad at this because I quickly dismiss meh and have a clue but like I said, got lucky on this one. I made amp 1 a bit better as well but it’s not special like this. Had amp 8 but sold it so don’t know if I could improve it… for me.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #1,946 of 2,804
You had to be one of us that got it with a review. Limited run. Stock, it’s cool and a different flavor of good to amp1 or 8, not better unless it suits you that way.
Aw man! Hopefully they will release a retail version eventually. I would love to have one modded by you at some point.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #1,947 of 2,804
Aw man! Hopefully they will release a retail version eventually. I would love to have one modded by you at some point.
It's weird. Hard to duplicate unless there's access to the same exact bits. I bought next step smaller polyprop (should be better) and styrene caps and it wasn't close to as good as what I had on hand to try. Took a minute to decide to go back. Better to be lucky than good but it's very important to be objective and not chase your tail. It's easy to go down a rabbit hole when you're trying the bypass cap thing.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,948 of 2,804
DX 240 and Amp 8 Mk 2 arriving today.
What is the "tool" referenced on the first page of this thread to be used with .img firmware. I am aware of the need to upgrade the firmware prior to installing Amp 8.
Is there anything else I need to know?

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #1,949 of 2,804
DX 240 and Amp 8 Mk 2 arriving today.
What is the "tool" referenced on the first page of this thread to be used with .img firmware. I am aware of the need to upgrade the firmware prior to installing Amp 8.
Is there anything else I need to know?
No, just do a FW update if needed from the update function. Either online or a root directory download. The Tool is for a complete reflash and not needed unless there is another issue or update fail/corruption.

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,950 of 2,804
Thank you for your prompt assistance, goodvibes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back