DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #136 of 2,804
Sorry I’m just replying to your post-scriptum but I too prefer the 220’s design. I’d go as far as calling it iconic, and it’s one of a precious few I’d say that about. I’m put off by the rounded shape of the 240 which brings to mind the rounded back of older iMacs; toy-like in a way I don’t gel with.
What do you use outside the house?
I don't use anything outside the house except for the stereo in my truck. We don't go out for much other than chores and to eat. I'm basically retired and what work I still do is at home. But, if I were to take a DAP with me it would be the Cowon Plenue R2. Small, good sound and good battery.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #137 of 2,804
Sorry I’m just replying to your post-scriptum but I too prefer the 220’s design. I’d go as far as calling it iconic, and it’s one of a precious few I’d say that about. I’m put off by the rounded shape of the 240 which brings to mind the rounded back of older iMacs; toy-like in a way I don’t gel with.
What do you use outside the house?
I rarely use anything outside the house but when it's possible I use the ZX507. At home use the DX160 along the Sony.

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #138 of 2,804
I'm curious as to what the DX240 would sound like with Amp1 MKII compared to DX220 with the same amp. Alternatively, what the DX220 would sound like with Amp1 MKIII compared to the DX240 with that same amp. Of course, as has been the case, I don't expect Ibasso to ever offer Amp1 MKIII as a stand alone purchase. But if a few people who end up owning both the 220 and 240 ever get curious enough to do some Amp module swapping between the two players AMP 1 modules, I'd love to read their impressions. I'm guessing that the largest differences between 220 and 240, aside from cosmetics, are going to be battery life and user interface/ user experience. I think that 9028 pro versus 9038 pro will be more of a selling point than a sonic difference. But that aside, just speaking for myself, if it had to be either the 220 or the 240 that traveled with me on a daily basis, I'd upgrade to the 240 just based on battery life alone (assuming it really is significantly longer than the 220), even if they sounded exactly the same. Portable for me means that I can move around the house with it. I rarely bring a DAP with me when I'm out and about. Otherwise ... the quirks and the sometimes buggy, laggy OS (mainly Mango) of the 220 aren't really an issue for me as I only play music off of the micro sd.

ps. I don't mind thick and heavy DAP's. I also have a Kann Alpha (basically a baby brick) and I actually like the chunk and heft of it (keep in mind that I don't take DAP's with me when I leave the house). Size wise, DX240 looks to be pretty nice. But still, I really do prefer the simpler squared off and kind of industrial look and feel of the DX220 (and 150 and 200). Never liked the look of the DX300. It's not that it would be too big or too heavy ... it's too long (or tall).
Its an interesting idea for sure.

Amp1mark1 verus mark2 versus mark3.

Audio memory being faulty i would hesitantly say (without undue burn in):
Reference/dry - neutral/slightly colored & a touch dynamic - - reference/neutral/detailed/‘fresh & lively’/definition

Not sure how it stacks against DX300 amps 11mk1/11mk2/amp12 - its probably a more recent reference mark for the development of amps using the popular amp8 as a base.

Amp swapping is going to take some time and not a thing i am going to tackle too much initially. I am going to get to know the base stock amp1markiii first.

I do wish i still had the amp8EX now. Ugh. It would be a good baseline to compare to.
I did think the DX300 came quite close but lacking a certain naturalness(?) which was more the excellent iBasso implementation of the ess versus the usual cirrus sound signature style.
So tentatively i would expect the amp1markiii to have again built on what was best out of the preceding amps

Listening on shuffle and music such as Die Antwoord and Lana Del Rey are excellent.

Music such as rock Led Zeppelin, Hole, Sting etc still needs the amp to settle in more.

It was great out of the box. But on shuffle i can see the usual pre burn quirks that are similar to most (high end and some mid &low) daps and earphones - bass needs to tighten up a bit and bloom (open like a flower) and the treble needs a little taming. Generally satisfying so far. With the right music. i can imagine the future results with rock etc once it gets a good number of hours.

C6731395-98D4-4996-858D-06B75F2D7B25.jpeg

iBasso DX240 in the light of day. With IT07/CB16 cable & DDhifi 4.4mm to 2.5mm bal DJ44B adapter.

Why the adapter? I am used to the IT07 and did not want too much variance from the cable i am used to. Just sitting at home anyway so no stress on the port.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #140 of 2,804
I think all owners of the DX300 are waiting for a comparison with the DX300/11/12 to make a decision about buying the DX240. :)

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #141 of 2,804
I think all owners of the DX300 are waiting for a comparison with the DX300/11/12 to make a decision about buying the DX240. :)
Yep.

Twister6 will hopefully have his unit soon and some early initial impressions.

I am going to get 100+ hours on it at least before doing some a/b-ing with DX300.

But anyways
Ui speed good
Battery life seems good
Size is good

Might just come down to sound signature preference in the end like high end iems.
Dacs versus dacs
Amps versus amps

Anyhow we’ll see in due course…

E95AE2B4-86BA-4D93-9B1B-4CD78257F2C1.jpeg

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #142 of 2,804
Yep.

Twister6 will hopefully have his unit soon and some early initial impressions.

I am going to get 100+ hours on it at least before doing some a/b-ing with DX300.

But anyways
Ui speed good
Battery life seems good
Size is good

Might just come down to sound signature preference in the end like high end iems.
Dacs versus dacs
Amps versus amps

Anyhow we’ll see in due course…

E95AE2B4-86BA-4D93-9B1B-4CD78257F2C1.jpeg

Nice try, we demand the review now! Common, hurry up :p

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #147 of 2,804
So, I' ve used/borrowed iBasso DAPs before, but have never owned one. I'm curious: is it at all likely iBasso will change the stock amp module at some point moving forward? I mean, I have "committed" (LOL) to 4.4mm balanced; have no use for 2.5, and only use 3.5mm with my iPhone dongle and laptop, thus the current stock (Amp 1 MKII???) amp module is if no use to me (I don't care to use an adapter, thank you very much, hahahaha).

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #148 of 2,804
So, I' ve used/borrowed iBasso DAPs before, but have never owned one. I'm curious: is it at all likely iBasso will change the stock amp module at some point moving forward? I mean, I have "committed" (LOL) to 4.4mm balanced; have no use for 2.5, and only use 3.5mm with my iPhone dongle and laptop, thus the current stock (Amp 1 MKII???) amp module is if no use to me (I don't care to use an adapter, thank you very much, hahahaha).
All you have to do is get the AMP8, which is 4.4 and a plate for the DX240 and your are set. The AMP8 is excellent sounding.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #149 of 2,804
^^I understood before asking that buying a separate amp module and new DX240 faceplate is always an option, what I'm asking of longtime iBasso customers is if iBasso ever changes it's stock amp module offering after initial launch.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #150 of 2,804
^^I understood before asking that buying a separate amp module and new DX240 faceplate is always an option, what I'm asking of longtime iBasso customers is if iBasso ever changes it's stock amp module offering after initial launch.
Over the years what I have seen is that if there is a minor change, the line out and phone out remain the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back