DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,037 of 2,804
Really have a hard time taking some impressions / reviews seriously. The good news is that sometimes it's ridiculously easy to know when to dismiss a review. But other times it can be difficult to determine whether you're reading/watching an objective (as much as humanly possible), thoughtful, honest review. So much potential bullcrap, too little time to sort through it ...

Just a small rant regarding my frustration with having no other choice but to base purchasing decisions on others impressions and opinions.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,038 of 2,804
UAPP is not recognizing the internal driver, it always plays through Android audio or there's no sound at all. Any update available?

Also there's small gaps playing MQA files with Mango player. The DX160 has the same behavior.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,039 of 2,804
Really have a hard time taking some impressions / reviews seriously. The good news is that sometimes it's ridiculously easy to know when to dismiss a review. But other times it can be difficult to determine whether you're reading/watching an objective (as much as humanely possible), thoughtful, honest review. So much potential bullcrap, too little time to sort through it ...

Just a small rant regarding my frustration with having no other choice but to base purchasing decisions on others impressions and opinions.
Outside of function and specs, reviews are opinion based anyway. Without personally having it on hand with comparisons, it will be difficult to learn much other than your basic 'is it worth a listen or not'. I don't think it's any more frustrating than any other product not on hand for a personal audition but yes, not having that is always a bit frustrating. I wouldn't do too much work trying to come to a conclusion from here but trust the overall opinion of some of the more respected posters and go from there. It could be great and still not for you. I'm happy with my R6 2020 for what it is and cost but this one has me intrigued so I'll have one run in and ready to compare in about a week.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,040 of 2,804
Can I get some dx248 vs dx311.2 and dx312 comparisons?

The smaller form factor is enticing.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,041 of 2,804
Ok. DX240 Saturday play around.

Tried android mango, pure mango

Amp1mark3, amp8 and amp8EX

(I compared amp8 and amp8EX the orher day using just the Micron card).

Amp8 with DX240 is vocals and holographic. Sphere like but kind of empty in the middle of the sphere at times.

Amp8EX with DX240 vocals are a bit more pulled back. Holographic but with the middle of the sphere filled in.

————————————-

Today Amp11mark3 versus amp8EX.

Android mango and pure mango.

Sandisk extreme pro and Micron (non CS) industrial micro sd cards

Amp8EX with the Micron is the winner.
- Analog, open, detailed, well balanced, nice low end, controlled but extended highs, vocals sweet and full - plus not overly forward.

I did think i might end up back on the extreme pro card but micron just kept winning.
Sandisk extreme pro didnt have the great combo of detail, space and fullness as the Micron did. Kinda dulled things at times.

Back in the dream machine. I am happy with the device.

I think DX300 struck gold with the amp11mark2 and hopefully DX240 will hit gold with its second and hopefully 4.4mm amp.

Very interesting about the micro card.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,042 of 2,804
I doubt if many people here are trying to pull the wool over someone's eye in regards to reviews.

No on has the defacto set of ears and hearing. We all hear things differently. Heck I don't think hardly anyone measures volume by voltage out when comparing, that's the only way you're going to get outputs accurately matched for comparison. Including me 😉

I believe most people are trying to accurately describe what they're hearing. Conflicting views are part of the audio world. Of course the best thing is to demo the dap in question yourself. I can say with 100% confidence that the dx240 doesn't suck and it sounds good 😀, especially after you get used to the sound sig.

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,043 of 2,804
I doubt if many people here are trying to pull the wool over someone's eye in regards to reviews.

No on has the defacto set of ears and hearing. We all hear things differently. Heck I don't think hardly anyone measures volume by voltage out when comparing, that's the only way you're going to get outputs accurately matched for comparison. Including me 😉

I believe most people are trying to accurately describe what they're hearing. Conflicting views are part of the audio world. Of course the best thing is to demo the dap in question yourself. I can say with 100% confidence that the dx240 doesn't suck and it sounds good 😀, especially after you get used to the sound sig.
I wasn't commenting on anything posted or anyone posting in this thread. Just venting in general.

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,044 of 2,804
I wasn't commenting on anything posted or anyone posting in this thread. Just venting in general.

We've all been there, I've read reviews about something and I'm hearing the exact opposite and thinking What? Plus I do believe in the excitement of having a 'new toy' that kind of influences opinions when you first get something. But so many variables with different headphones, ear shapes, hearing acumen etc.

Plus maybe there are a few shills around. Idk.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,045 of 2,804
So I just got one and threw some files on the internal memory. Out of the box, it's a full bodied player. Just preliminary playing around with some friendly Katos because it's the only 2.5 plug phones that are handy. With this setup, I prefer mid gain and filter 5... so far. Not my main phones nor is the player run in at all (a wee bit congested) so things will change some but I see a lot of potential here. For anyone finding the player bright or etched, (I clearly don't but read a couple comments) play with filter and gain setting before going for anything else like EQ. Really like the form factor considering the required space for what's happening here. Literally about 10min of listening to a master dub I know like the back of my hand and will now allow it to simmer for a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #1,046 of 2,804
Can I get some dx248 vs dx311.2 and dx312 comparisons?

The smaller form factor is enticing.

From review in the head fi section
Or Head pie https://www.headpie.net/2021/10/ibasso-dx240-review-expatinjapan.html?m=1

Dx240 amps compared with the dx300 amps11 and 12 as that was many peoples immediate reference point.

‘….
I do think amp 8 is a good investment and goes above the stock amp1mkiii.

So:
Amp8>amp1mkiii
Amp1mkiii = amp11mark1
Amp1mkiii <amp11mark2
Amp1mkiii = amp12
Amp8/amp12 - close in quality, close in sound with a swap of filters.

So kind of a dead heat. Everyone wins.’

<<<the above needs to be read in context of the review written up tests. More about signature than quality perhaps from memory??

(Although its a bit old now - the review - it does seems like an eternity ago …- and my thoughts are still evolving on the DX240 whereas with the DX300 its fixed.)
-Also the amp8EX has entered into the equation also….
(Stock amp1mkii and amp8 are back in the box, amp8EX happily in the dx240).

Very interesting about the micro card.

72B50995-69D6-49F6-929E-AD87819C49E9.jpeg

Either trust my ears or write me off as crazy - either one is good (i have to try internal memory again…)

So I just got one and threw some files on the internal memory. Out of the box, it's a full bodied player. Just preliminary playing around with some friendly Katos because it's the only 2.5 plug phones that are handy. With this setup, I prefer mid gain and filter 5... so far. Not my main phones nor is the player run in at all (a wee bit congested) so things will change some but I see a lot of potential here. For anyone finding the player bright or etched, (I clearly don't but read a couple comments) play with filter and gain setting before going for anything else like EQ. Really like the form factor considering the required space for what's happening here.

A few variances in peoples impressions for sure.

Some earphone related/ pairings work or not.

Some earphones i found paired well with stock amp1mkii and some with amp8 (and some not with either), and many pair well with amp8EX).

I wonder whether there were several amps runs and some of the magic happened as the amps cooked in the soldering machines at the production factories and came out different.>>>

As we got different results with amp12mk1 and Amp11mark2 for the DX300 (?…i wonder).

26EDA065-84F0-46F7-8890-500C29152730.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #1,047 of 2,804
From review in the head fi section
Or Head pie https://www.headpie.net/2021/10/ibasso-dx240-review-expatinjapan.html?m=1

Dx240 amps compared with the dx300 amps11 and 12 as that was many peoples immediate reference point.

‘….
I do think amp 8 is a good investment and goes above the stock amp1mkiii.

So:
Amp8>amp1mkiii
Amp1mkiii = amp11mark1
Amp1mkiii <amp11mark2
Amp1mkiii = amp12
Amp8/amp12 - close in quality, close in sound with a swap of filters.

So kind of a dead heat. Everyone wins.’

<<<the above needs to be read in context of the review written up tests. More about signature than quality perhaps from memory??

(Although its a bit old now - the review - it does seems like an eternity ago …- and my thoughts are still evolving on the DX240 whereas with the DX300 its fixed.)
-Also the amp8EX has entered into the equation also….
(Stock amp1mkii and amp8 are back in the box, amp8EX happily in the dx240).

72B50995-69D6-49F6-929E-AD87819C49E9.jpeg

Either trust my ears or write me off as crazy - either one is good (i have to try internal memory again…)

A few variances in peoples impressions for sure.

Some earphone related/ pairings work or not.

Some earphones i found paired well with stock amp1mkii and some with amp8 (and some not with either), and many pair well with amp8EX).

I wonder whether there were several amps runs and some of the magic happened as the amps cooked in the soldering machines at the production factories and came out different.>>>

As we got different results with amp12mk1 and Amp11mark2 for the DX300 (?…i wonder).

26EDA065-84F0-46F7-8890-500C29152730.jpeg

I like the sound of the stock amp, but it would be cool to have 4.4. But that amp 8ex seems neigh impossible to get right now. And I'd try the micron cards if they weren't so $

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #1,048 of 2,804
I like the sound of the stock amp, but it would be cool to have 4.4. But that amp 8ex seems neigh impossible to get right now. And I'd try the micron cards if they weren't so $
I got a 256GB which is the minimum for the better ones non cs micron). Around $100 and worth the experiment i thought. Worked wonders on the Max SS.
MTSD256AKC7MS-1WT

I got mine (2nd amp8EX) from the head-fi classifieds so keep checking there i guess. Or i was just lucky.

As for amp8EX- as i mentioned before i sold mine as the dx220 battery life etc was surpassed by the dx300 and i thought. Meh, i love the dx220/amp8EX but which am i gonna use.
It was not exact (i use micro sd cards mostly) but i went for it. Dx300 and Amp11mark2.

Then came dx240. Amp11markiii is a stock amp and generally meant to be an allrounder i guess. But not for everyone

Amp8 gave a little more towards what i was after -it was better on the dx240 than on the dx220, which was a bit dark and congested on the dx220 compared to amp8EX .

But amp8EX hits the spot

I do wonder what the next amp for dx240 will be like. I expect a 4.4mm with a Amp11mark2 kind of signature...but who knows…

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,049 of 2,804
I got a 256GB which is the minimum for the better ones non cs micron). Around $100 and worth the experiment i thought. Worked wonders on the Max SS.

I got mine (2nd amp8EX) from the head-fi classifieds so keep checking there i guess. Or i was just lucky.

As for amp8EX- as i mentioned before i sold mine as the dx220 battery life etc was surpassed by the dx300 and i thought. Meh, i love the dx220/amp8EX but which am i gonna use.
It was not exact (i use micro sd cards mostly) but i went for it. Dx300 and Amp11mark2.

Then came dx240. Amp11markiii is a stock amp and generally meant to be an allrounder i guess. But not for everyone

Amp8 gave a little more towards what i was after -it was better on the dx240 than on the dx220, which was a bit dark and congested on the dx220 compared to amp8EX .

But amp8EX hits the spot

I do wonder what the next amp for dx240 will be like. I expect a 4.4mm with a Amp11mark2 kind of signature...but who knows…
I'm thinking more along the lines of amp1 mk3 but with 4.4mm. Seems like a safer bet.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #1,050 of 2,804
So I just got one and threw some files on the internal memory. Out of the box, it's a full bodied player. Just preliminary playing around with some friendly Katos because it's the only 2.5 plug phones that are handy. With this setup, I prefer mid gain and filter 5... so far. Not my main phones nor is the player run in at all (a wee bit congested) so things will change some but I see a lot of potential here. For anyone finding the player bright or etched, (I clearly don't but read a couple comments) play with filter and gain setting before going for anything else like EQ. Really like the form factor considering the required space for what's happening here.

Congrats!

I usually use high gain which seems to reveal more detail/clarity with volume 10-25. Like other iBasso models, there seems to be a big jump between med gain and high gain. Fortunately, my main IEMs are mild in upper mids - treble range so no harshness to speak of. I did try my Hyla CE5 which is more V-shaped with piezo ceramic tweeters... the treble becomes borderline too much. I have to dial back to med gain... so ymmv.

For a quick note, going from stock amp to Amp8 seems to add more mid bass thickness (adds note weight) and improvements in dynamics. Amp8EX shifts the tuning to leaner sub bass oriented bass, slightly V shaped sound, with the same improved dynamics. I think I’m hearing similar to what @ExpatinJapan is hearing - i.e. vocals pulled back a little. Amp8EX is a cleaner refinement of Amp8 which is little bit slower and analog sounding than EX.

Interesting thing is that using Amp8EX, the sound change from DX220 to DX240 is very very subtle. I think I hear slightly improved bass and slightly forward upper mids. I had to try bunch of tracks to find where the small changes were coming from. Maybe it's due to the tracks I have or my tired ears :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: This could be good or bad depending on how you look at it from DX220 upgrade perspective. The platform/OS/weight is a clear upgrade though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back