DX1000 & DT880
Apr 21, 2008 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
I am the proud owner of the DX1000 phone although require a second 'general' phone for reasons of expedience. How do these phones differ from each other in an overall review?

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Now there must be somebody out there who has experience with both of these phones?

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 10
i am timid of comparing them for two reasons: one, most important: i haven't the dx1000 and two: one is 700$ usd and one is only 300 or 400$ usd.

i would love to hear the dx1000 as i am in love with victor other cheaper phones, just hard to find a place that will let me pick up a 700$ pair of phones.

i am the proud owner of dt880 however. it has been my favourite phone of all time but then i have never heard any flagship dynammics to compare them to. they are lovely, very wide open. some consider them to be sibiland, but i do not seem to be suceptable to this phenomena.

they are not heavy bass-hitters but have a lovely driver sound to the bass which i have not heard as well from most other phones i have heard.

i hope someone answers you

okay, so i guess i just bumped this thread.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for your response, I guess I need to further explain my needs. I just need a 'quick' set to use were I wouldn't use the JVCs i n a hurry. I treat the DX1000 phones with great care and delicacy. I am looking at either the Dt880s or the Denon D2000. Off course good bass and great detail retrieval is a must.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your response, I guess I need to further explain my needs. I just need a 'quick' set to use were I wouldn't use the JVCs i n a hurry. I treat the DX1000 phones with great care and delicacy. I am looking at either the Dt880s or the Denon D2000. Off course good bass and great detail retrieval is a must.

I owned the DT880/600 so can't speak to other versions. I remember that phone as being extremely detailed, with an emphasis on the upper mids and treble and it was certainly not a bass-monster. I strongly prefer the DT880s over the D2000s, but if you want bass and (reasonable) detail I'd say the Denons are the safer bet. Having said that, there are DT880 owners who swear by their bass performance, so perhaps I'm jumping the gun. I think the Denons would require less adjustment from the glory that is the DX1000s, but the DT880s are very fine headphones, especially for acoustic and all kinds of classical music.

good luck,

o

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 10
another plus of beyer is minus the non-removable cable, they are essentially buildable. every part can screw away so if something breaks, it is 'easy' to replace.

but you have quoted the dx1000 as your baby and now the d2000, perhaps you are more intersted in closed phones? have you though instead of the dt880 of the dt770? i am a hard and fast beyer fan but the dt770 is one of my favs.

i also love the ultrasone dj1pro which is a little more expensive for a less robust build but... there is something about ultrasones.

the beyer dt880 are phenomenal phones and will be bass monsters if you wrongly pair them with the pads from the dt770. in fact the dt770 have no bass when using the pads from the dt880.

you have your marinoni already, it is time to settle for a bianchi or colagno.

edit: sorry, i should add that though i do love classical and some acoustic, i find the wide stage and wonderful speed of the dt880 to serve what is my first choice for trance music and if i am in an off mood, other types of techno.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is what I use Darth Beyers for.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 10
I am steering towards the DT880s at this stage for the following reasons- Firstly the great build quality that these phones have. Built like a tank as some have described!! The Denons are second raters from what I've read, if not flimsy. Secondly the soundstage is vastly superior on the Dt880s and thirdly detail retrieval is more apparent on the Beyers as is the possibility of increasing the bass according to 'shigzeo' by applying the DT770 pads. Have I summed it up correctly thus far?

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

.....if you wrongly pair them with the pads from the dt770. in fact the dt770 have no bass when using the pads from the dt880.....

Have you tried this yourself Shigzeo? Where did you purchase the DT770 pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back