DVI / HDMI hookup help
Aug 19, 2006 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I am planning to get a 26" LCD HDTV of some sort (probably Samsung although I haven't done too much research) in an week or two. I want to use all the regular stuff like dvd player with it, but I also want to hook my computer up. My computer has one DVI port and one VGA port. I have an dvi-hdmi adapter. My monitor has VGA and DVI (Dell 2005fpw.) DVI is in use now and I really don't want to give that up, I really enjoy the quality it produces. I was curious if I used like an 20 foot vga cable to the television, how would the picture be compared to an DVI-HDMI connection? My only problem with that is I have an vga cable for my 360, and because my audio rig and video rig (or future video rig) are on other sides of the room, if I want to use the 360 it makes most logical sense to use an extension cord with the vga cable and use that instead of extending a component cable (bunch of rca's.) Lastly, if I use vga for the television, can I have both my monitor and tv connected (one dvi, one vga.)

Due to the conflict, I am thinking of buying a new video card with dual dvi (I don't game much anyway and I have a ATI x800xl, any recommendations if I don't want the best, but not the budget that can't do any gaming?) If I buy one with dual dvi, can I use one port for my monitor and one for my television. If so, how would I switch between?

PS, if your curious, I want it to watch DIVX and stuff. I was thinking of using my PC as an dvd player, but not sure if that's an good idea. I have an samsung hd-950 I'll probably use for that.

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 9
Oh, and just to clarify, the Samsung TV does have an vga input.

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 9
bump..

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 9
I own the Samsung LN-S2651D and use it as an HDTV and Monitor. Everyone out there that's still buying expensive "high end LCD Monitors" I just wana slap across the head.
These LCD TV/Moniters are a good 20x better, in ever aspect, then LCD monitors.
Response is that of a CRT with contrast I didn’t expect top see for years. The performance in the LCDTV market is generations above the monitor market.

Ya the max resolution from a computer is only 1360x768, but in reality who the hell needs more. Just use Anti-aliasing when gaming and your set. Everything else, with maybe the exception of photo editing, would never benefit from a higher resolution. Even If you do work with photography, this is still a good way to go do to its incredible color fidelity, contrast ratio, and uniformity... And with today’s quality interpolations, there’s no problem working with high rez photos on low res displays.
And ya it’s dynamic contrast, but our eyes don't know the difference as they work dynamically as well.

Sigh...,
blink.gif
sarry, had to get it out.
Best monitor I’ve ever owned, BY FAR.

Now about the video IO. DVI to HDMI doesn’t work. I’m sure you could spend a good 100 hours fiddling with timings, and what not, to give you a half accurate 1:1. But it’s not worth it, as I’ll voids your warranty and very well may burn out your monitor.
Now I’m defiantly pro digital, but to be honest using a DVI/VGA adapter to D-sub works great. VGA to VGA also give a decent image (with this display). But found DVI to VGA to look a bit better. Now I know it’s just a pin to pin conversion but for what ever reason it looks better, and dam near what a digital 1:1 would be. Lack of DVI-D input almost prevented me form buying this. But honestly, the quality using the VGA is more then acceptable.

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 9
I think a video card with two DVI outputs is the way to go. By doing this you'll not only get DVI output to both your TV and monitor, but you'll be able to use them both as part of your desktop (meaning you can drag a window over to the TV area when you want to play a game on it, and keep Foobar2000 and the Windows Taskbar running on the monitor side).

As far as monitor vs. TV goes, the Dell 2407 LCD Monitor runs at 1920x1200 resolution and sells for $700 (or maybe less, depending on the always-changing Dell coupons/specials). Is there an LCD TV out there that runs near the resolution for anywhere near that price? The closest I can find is a Westinghouse 37" LCD TV that supports 1080p (1920x1080, I believe) for around $1500 at BestBuy.com. Not bad, and certainly large, but it's more than twice the price (yet lower resolution) than the Dell 24" LCD Monitor. Regardless, isn't it crazy how cheap these amazing LCD monitors and TVs have gotten? We were paying prices higher than that for smaller tube-based monitors and TVs 15 years ago.

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 9
You may want to do a bit of research on AVS Forums. Some TVs don't do a very good job of color balancing when hooked up to a computer (mine shows too much red/orange).

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter
Well mines perfect, whites are the whitest I’ve ever seen. Spectrum charts are all balanced as-well.

Alright, it's the same tv i'm thinking of buying.

I guess I have no option but to use the 360 with component (sad because I read vga is better and I already have the vga cables), my computer with vga, dvd player with hdmi and PS3 or any future stuff with the other hdmi port (I also have an HDMI switch.) I will put the gamecube on composite I guess, and hook up an optical cable to my sound card's optical input temporarily until I get an DAC and use that with my 3 port optical swtich for my 360, pc, and television (cable.)

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 9
Well I guess that's what you get for owning 3 noob boxes
tongue.gif
when you already have a PC.

I swear you'll love the display! Don't be scared by how much more vibrant the colors are. You’ll come to realize you've just entered a new realm, and will soon come to puke over every traditional monitor in your path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back