Dvd to Flac?
Jun 17, 2004 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kream

New Head-Fier
I have been converting all of my cd's with Exact Audio Copy and then I use the flac frontend to convert the wav to .flac
I was wondering if it is possible to do the same to the audio portion from a music DVD disc?
600smile.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 7
The DVD-Audio portion of the disc uses an encryption & compression scheme that hasn't yet been broken, however you can rip the audio from the DVD-Video portion of the disc (if it has one) with a program like DVDDecrypter (Google it) but that will be compressed with either AC3 or DTS, though DTS isn't too bad sounding. To decode DTS use dtsdec program from here.

Jun 17, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 7
there are some DVD-V that has 24/96 PCM tracks on them, used mainly by audiophile labels before the introduction of DVD-A.. some music DVDs can have PCM tracks with better quality then CD.. and yes, FLAC can encode any known samplerates and bit depths..

Jun 19, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Sorry I should have been more clear, it is in fact a DVD-V disc.
However I'm not as interested in grabbing the video as I am in the audio.
I would like to copy the audio portion from a music dvd-video disc, and then save it on my harddrive.. or to a CD.

What program's should I be looking for (Or what works for sure).. when I search google there are too many to choose from.

Jun 19, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 7
DVD Decrypter is a good program that allows you to decrypt and demux the audio stream. You'll most likely end up with a 480kbps AC3 (Dolby Digital) file (DTS and lower channel AC3 files are also possible). Transcoding this compressed audio to FLAC or something is silly, since it's already lost quality, and it'll end up taking ten times the space.

Jun 19, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Ahhh.. I understand now, I didn't realize dvd-v's were usually 48kHz (the one I was trying to decode was)
I'll pass on this one, thanks for the help everyone
600smile.gif

Jun 20, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 7
not all of them, as I said there are a few with 24/96 PCM track on them which are definately worth FLACing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back