DVD Titles With Best Picture Quality?
May 4, 2008 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't mean like Best Picture nomination award, but the DVD itself, what titles are among the best when it comes to the picture quality? eg. the one that you would use when you wanna calibrate your TV/setup or to see how good your TV is?

May 4, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 22
Anything by Pixar.

I would also commend Transformers and any of the Pirates of the Carribean trilogy.

Even better if you are upscaling to 720p or 1080p.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 22
Can't find superbits in my videoshop anymore. I think it's going HDCD way... Now for Pixar, I got Incredibles, Monster Inc, and Finding Nemo. I head Cars in Bluray is superb, but just wondering, in DVD format, do you know which Pixar movie has the best picture quality?

May 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 22
Cars and Ratatouille for PQ IMO. Upscaled 1080p DVD through HDMI into decent panel can look very good. Obviously Blu-Ray has the extra resolution and HD audio but for the software costs are still a little high (for me at least).

May 4, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 22
You reckon Ratatouille is better than The Incredibles? I haven't compared them side by side, but from my memory I "think" Incredibles look better than Ratatouille. But maybe it's because of the particular DVD itself too though.

May 4, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 22
look for DVDs put out by The Criterion Collection.
superb high quality transfers and restorations, both from a technical and artistic standpoint.

May 4, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 22
I remember the SuperBit Fifth Element was suppose to be a good one, I think you can find them for pretty cheap because I think the SuperBit company might have gone out of business.

Another that I found to be excellent is the BBC documentary Planet Earth. They really have some great and incredible scenes in there.

May 4, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 22
I recall U-571 being used as a benchmark in the days before Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Especially the external scenes of the submarine with all the bubbles flying off the screw from cavitation. I believe there's a Superbit version of it out, though.

We'll see tomorrow, anyway. My DLP arrives. I also picked up a Transformers 2-Disc SE for $5 at Wal-Mart the other day. Had to do a triple take at the price. Rang up as $5, though. Can't argue with that...

Also, what about Star Wars Episode I/II/III? Movie quality and acting ability is up for debate, but picture quality is pretty amazing.

May 4, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 22
I love using recent Chinese films that depict Imperial China like Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, and especially Curse of the Golden Flower. The extravagant use of color in combination with the architectural and clothing styles of Imperial China make for a great picture.

Edit: The last few Harry Potter movies have had pretty good scenes with great picture quality. Most notably, when I saw the Dumbledore vs. Voldemort fight in Order of the Phoenix on a 1080p DLP screen, I was blown away.

May 6, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by _jazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember the SuperBit Fifth Element was suppose to be a good one, I think you can find them for pretty cheap because I think the SuperBit company might have gone out of business.

Another that I found to be excellent is the BBC documentary Planet Earth. They really have some great and incredible scenes in there.

I'm pretty sure that The Fifth Element is widely used (or was) by videophiles as a sort of reference DVD. I have a copy and I must say that, for a live action movie, it does look incredible.

May 7, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recall U-571 being used as a benchmark in the days before Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Especially the external scenes of the submarine with all the bubbles flying off the screw from cavitation. I believe there's a Superbit version of it out, though.

superbit is a sony thing... u-571 is universal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back