DVD/RW Trouble
Aug 13, 2004 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uosux

100+ Head-Fier
I have a NEC 2500a DVD burner, and everything has been working fine on it untill today. For whatever reason, it is not detected anymore. After investigating, I find that "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".

I have attempted a myriad of things to fix this, but to no avail. There appear to be no drivers for this burner on the internet, and it came with none because it is OEC. Uninstalling and reinstalling the device have not fixed it. I even copied the drivers listed under Device Manager from my brother's computer (same specifacations), and the same error happens.

Yesterday I did install Windows SP2, IT edition. I can't remember if the problem started right away however. Since then I have uninstalled SP2, and reinstalled SP1... twice.

I am not sure what to do anymore. It still detects my Windows XP Pro CD on startup, and I am considering reinstalling the OS. I don't want it to come to that. I'd really appreciate some help.

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm not sure if this is applicable because you have been changing your computer software settings so much, but have you tried to install the latest version of ASPI 4.72? You should go to the Adaptec website and download it. Make sure you download the right one! That will replace the Windows ASPI layer and it should be done with caution.

Aug 13, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 6
***FIXED***
Okay, I managed to fix the problem and am very pleased with myself
biggrin.gif
. The solution was rather esoteric, so here it is incase anyone has a similar problem in the future.

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"
Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

I am not sure why, but these two registry values mess with the drivers, and won't allow the device to run. I found this help at http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/forum/messages/71.shtml. It appears that it can happen with any CD rom drive. The reason mine went screwy was probably from the DVD ripping software I had installed previously.

Too bad I spent a day repeatedly reinstalling Service Packs on my computer
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back