DVD-RW help!
Mar 18, 2007 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

moo moo

New Head-Fier
I bought some DVD-RW disks and i want to use them like an external hard-drive to back up my files from my laptop, and then add to them and update the files after. I have a CD/DVD-RW burner, what software should i use to do this that is free?

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moo moo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a CD/DVD-RW burner, what software should i use to do this that is free?

What OS? All of them have tools built in.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 10
well when i originally burn it is ok, then when i try to edit it and add files to it it messes up and doesnt even recognise that there is anything on the disk

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Moo Moo:

A DVD drive is not like an external hard drive. You cannot delete or replace files without using a special program called a "packet writing" program (aka, UDF writer). However, most users recommend against using these type of programs due to compatibility problems. Nor can you use the Windows CD burning wizard, which only works with CD-R or CD-RW media.

Maybe you could tell us more about what you're trying to do and someone can recommend something that's a better fit for your use.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moo moo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have files that contain music, pictures etc.. and i need to back up these data files on DVD-RW disks

As an alternative, the Maxtor 300Gb drive at Staples (#583700) is actually a Seagate 320GB 7200.10.

It is going for $80 with no rebate through 3/17. Obtain a 15 off 75 and buy it in store for $65 + tax, or buy a $30 off $150 from eBay for about $4 and get two delivered for $67 + tax.

Sell one for $90 on ebay and your cost is only $44.

Good Luck!!

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokiedad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moo Moo:

A DVD drive is not like an external hard drive. You cannot delete or replace files without using a special program called a "packet writing" program (aka, UDF writer). However, most users recommend against using these type of programs due to compatibility problems. Nor can you use the Windows CD burning wizard, which only works with CD-R or CD-RW media.

Maybe you could tell us more about what you're trying to do and someone can recommend something that's a better fit for your use.

Is there any standalone freeware UDF packet writing software available for this?
I use Incd for CDs myself my I don't have dvd writer so I am not sure whether Incd can do dvds.[my nero is an old one,5.5]

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 10
InCD is another packet writing program. I personally avoid these.

Moo Moo, let me suggest you simply use your normal burning program to write these files to a DVD-RW disc. For example, I keep all my important stuff in the My Documents folder, then write this folder to a DVD-RW disc about once a week. When I want to rpeat this process, I erase the disc, and write it again. When I want to permanently archive files, such as older pictures, I write them to a DVD-R disc.

This procedure is simple and does not require any special program to read or retrieve the files.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokiedad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
InCD is another packet writing program. I personally avoid these.

Moo Moo, let me suggest you simply use your normal burning program to write these files to a DVD-RW disc. For example, I keep all my important stuff in the My Documents folder, then write this folder to a DVD-RW disc about once a week. When I want to rpeat this process, I erase the disc, and write it again. When I want to permanently archive files, such as older pictures, I write them to a DVD-R disc.

This procedure is simple and does not require any special program to read or retrieve the files.

Why do you avoid packet writing programs?
I use incd for CD and find it very useful.
I have no compatibility problems with other computers either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back