dvd rom drive vs cdrom for cd playback ?
Jul 23, 2005 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

steam3642

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys
I know this may sound silly but let me explain, i currently have a Redgum Audio dac/cd player it is made here in Melbourne . Australia , it is basicly a 20 bit dac with a compuer cd rom tacked on as a transport , the idea being that if the cd rom transport ever fails it is easy a 5 minute replacement to change to a new rom drive , a consumer fix cd player , so comes the question is a dvd rom drive superior at reading cds compared to a normal cd rom drive ?, please excuse my ignorance as i know little about cd/dvd drives , i am looking to bye a couple of spares so i thought i would ask which is better for cd playback , any info would be great . Cheers.

website www.redgumaudio.com.au

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 10
No, DVD-ROMs aren't superior in reading audio CDs, in fact the very best results are generally achieved with older CD-only drives. DVD drives typically use dual pickups so they can read both types of discs. Selecting a drive for this application isn't quite as easy as you think, since it needs to have CD audio control buttons at the front and better not spin at insane speeds if you put in an audio CD. (Only my old 48X jet engine would qualify here, but not the CD and DVD burners.)

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi
Thanks for the reply , i am currently using Mitsubishi Diamond data 52x cd/wr rom , seems to work fine , it is getting hard to find cd roms with play/skip buttons , i will stock up , how long should a cd rom last under a home cd player application ? cheers.

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 10
I second sgrossklass.I would use a CD-RW.THey have better error correction,C2.
confused.gif

I dont know if it requires a high level software to enable it or something.

Jul 23, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi , Tell me what a codec is ? , Really i dont know much about cd rom and dvd roms and computers in general , i thought dvd roms might be better than standard cd roms for cd playback , everywhere i go there seem to be dvd roms for sale . Cheers.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi . not sure about what your asking , i left a link for the web site to Redgum Audio , search for the RGCd 2 in the products section it has some specs on the unit , sorry i am just a learner . Cheers.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by steam3642
Hi
Thanks for the reply , i am currently using Mitsubishi Diamond data 52x cd/wr rom , seems to work fine , it is getting hard to find cd roms with play/skip buttons , i will stock up , how long should a cd rom last under a home cd player application ?

If it's built decently, the bearings should last an eternity (wear at 1X/2X speed is going to be very low). The pickup may collect dirt sooner or later (particularly smoking environments are decidedly unhealthy), but so will the one in a CD player. CD players tend to be easier to service though. (There's a fairly comprehensive CD player/drive repair FAQ available on the net in case servicing should ever be necessary.)

Jul 23, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by steam3642
Hi , Tell me what a codec is ? , Really i dont know much about cd rom and dvd roms and computers in general , i thought dvd roms might be better than standard cd roms for cd playback , everywhere i go there seem to be dvd roms for sale . Cheers.

Shortly said:
Codec is short for Compressor-decompressor.
Codecs are needed for encoding and decoding (playing) audio and video.

As an example, .mp3 file is compressed and needs to be decompressed before it can be played.

If you like to look it closer just visit @ http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3codec/

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back