DVD Ripping Question
Jun 3, 2005 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone know of a program I could use to rip dvd video, and then edit it right after?

Basically I want to take some small snippets of out of some of my DVD movies. How do I do it? Which program enables me to do it easily?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 7
A ripper such as DVD Decrypter (ripping to vob), followed by using DVD2AVI to get the chunks you want. If they're relatively small, you'll probably want to encode them losslessly for editing purposes--so grab yourself a copy of huffyuv while you're at it.

Alternatively, after ripping, you can follow this guide here: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...C/guide5_2.htm, which allowd you to directly edit your VOB files in Premiere. It takes a little more work, another program and plugin, and you will have to make a small script, but the guide is pretty explicit, so it's not hard. And it's REALLY useful.
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 7
First you need to decrypt it, then you can load it up into any video editing program that support MPEG-2. For a free one you might try VirtualDubMod. You could also try editing the raw MPEG-2 stream using TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools, but I can't guarantee you that it will work with that.

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Tsunami MPEG is what you're going to want to encode your finished project with, if you want best results, BTW. Much better than the standard encoders included with premiere, and the like.

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 7
I have tried a couple of dvd ripping programs. The one I like most is called, 1clickdvd copy. It is by far the easiest program I have used to backup movies. I don't notice any difference when watching a burned copy or the original; check out there website: www.1clickdvdcopy.com.

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
First you need to decrypt it, then you can load it up into any video editing program that support MPEG-2. For a free one you might try VirtualDubMod. You could also try editing the raw MPEG-2 stream using TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools, but I can't guarantee you that it will work with that.

When you say first decrypt it, are you saying to use a program other than VirtualDub, and just split it up/edit it, with VDub after Decrypting it with say.....Decrypter?

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikos
When you say first decrypt it, are you saying to use a program other than VirtualDub, and just split it up/edit it, with VDub after Decrypting it with say.....Decrypter?

Use DVD Decrypter to copy the DVD to your hard drive. The Disc if from a commertial source is encrypted so "normal editor" like Vdub can't read it.

With DVD Decrypter you can also select a few chapter and do the final timming afterward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back