DVD player question
Mar 26, 2008 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

robster

500+ Head-Fier
Howdy- my 5 year old JVC DVD player is crapping out and I need a new DVD player. What should I get,?..my budget is up to $350 new or used. I'll also listen to my music cd's on the DVD player using a Benchmark Dac 1. Sorry but I haven't kept up with the technology of HD DVD or Blue Ray.
We don't own any movies we just rent them and our TV will be a soon to pruchase LG or Samsung 42 inch LCD flat screen.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Would you consider buying a Blu-Ray player? HD-DVD died a quick death a few months ago, so now Blu-Ray is the only remaining HD format.

If you're concerned about regular DVD video quality on a budget, check out the Oppo DV-983H. They spent a lot of time and money on the video section for that one. For less, the DV-981HD offers video nearly as good. Oppo has been the value leader for a few years now in terms of video quality.

There has been some concern about the analog audio and digital jitter performance of Oppo players, but since you won't be using the analog outputs and you have the DAC1, neither should be a significant issue.

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 5
that Oppo is 399 is it not?

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that Oppo is 399 is it not?

True, it's a bit over his budget, but until that point is reached, most of the less-expensive players tend to have similar functionality. Most players seem to be using a variation of the MediaTek MT13xx chipset for video, including the cheaper Oppo players, though the Oppos still have the advantage of having superior Faroudja upscaling chips.

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you consider buying a Blu-Ray player? HD-DVD died a quick death a few months ago, so now Blu-Ray is the only remaining HD format.

If you're concerned about regular DVD video quality on a budget, check out the Oppo DV-983H. They spent a lot of time and money on the video section for that one. For less, the DV-981HD offers video nearly as good. Oppo has been the value leader for a few years now in terms of video quality.

There has been some concern about the analog audio and digital jitter performance of Oppo players, but since you won't be using the analog outputs and you have the DAC1, neither should be a significant issue.

Many thanks.. u see I didn't even know that HD was out of the picture.. I'll look for a used Blu-Ray player.

Cheers,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back