DVD player ok for quality source?
Aug 27, 2004 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gus B

Head-Fier
Greetings all. I have HD-600's connected to a Corda HA-1. Unfortunately, my source is Sony "dream machine" home theatre in a box dvd player, which I suspect is a big weak link in quality. I'd like to do better, but since the source is also being used for home theatre surround sound, I'd like to get progressive scan dvd player that will still be a quality source for cd music listening with the 600's and HA-1. I'm looking at a Harman Kardon (HK DVD22) progressive scan DVD player. I don't care about DVD-A or SADC. Any suggestions? Can a DVD player also be a quality CDP, or do I need a dedicated unit. I would be most grateful for any replies.

Aug 27, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 9
You should look into the Toshiba SD-3960. I'm getting one soon and I've heard it's a good source, matching the Meridian 508 in sound quality if you mod it.

Aug 28, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Does your unit have SACD? If so it might be worth keeping. Does your dream machine have a digital output? If it does you can use a dac hooked up to an auxiliary input. Ive read good reviews of those dream machines.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the input. My dream machine (DAV-C450) does have SACD, but all I own are CDs so it's unimportant to me. Also, it is not a progressive scan player, and I definitely want progressive scan for watching DVDs, so I need to upgrade for that alone anyway. I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone if I could get a DVD player that is also a good source for music audio, since my headphone set up runs from the same source, and I am sure I am not doing the 600's and the HA-1 justice with the dream machine. The dream machine, in any event, does not have digital out, so a DAC wont help. Are dedicated CD players better than DVD players as a source for the HA-1? Will a good progressive scan DVD player do the job? If not, I am willing to buy a progressive scan DVD player for the home theatre & spring for a separate CD player for the HA-1, but in addition to the cost, it will require another shelf on the component rack.

Aug 28, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 9
The Tushi reclamation project continues. I rigged up this modded 3960 to my Vidcam so I see what the heck is going on with it thru the cam's LCD display. I'm watching The Cure: Greatest Hits on DVD right now on my Toshiba and it sounds AWESOME. Who needs DVD-A when you can just play the DVD videos? And I can even watch it a bit on vidcam if I want to lol - but it's really just to help me nav the menu page to get to the tunes. Also, if you want to futz with stuff like the Toshiba's menu options (karaoke audio OFF!) this vidcam setup is a quick and easy way to check up on it without having to hook it up to the TV - which is a bit away from my desk. Plus, the vidcam is right here handy and ready to go if the baby starts doing something cute. Best of both worlds.

Just to be clear, since my Solo amp is gone atm, it's the Toshiba rca to mini to cmoy to grado adapter to MS-2. Then it's the Toshiba rca vid out to mini to Digicam LCD window. Bingo!

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Hmm--2 votes for the Toshiba 3960, & I guess the answer to my basic techology question is that DVD players do not sacrifice quality over a dedicated CDP for music listening through a headphone amp. Unfortunately ( or fortunately maybe) I have a $300 merchandise card for Circuit City, & they don't seem to sell the Toshiba. Has anyone heard the Harmon Kardon HK DVD22? CC sells that & it got very good reviews on their site. If something else is superior, I'm sure I can find some other ways to blow $300 at CC. As always, all input is greatly appreciated.
I just notice Stryker recommended the Denon DVD-2900 on another thread--from the specs, that looks like it would accomplish both my objectives & would be a step up from the Harmon Kardon.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 9
As I read your comments & do some research, I am getting utterly lost. The Toshiba SD-3960 sells for under $100. How can that possibly equal (mod or not) in quality a Meridian 508 which seems to sell for over $3000???? I assume the Denon DVD-2900 is better than the HK DVD22 since it costs 5x more, and got some great reviews. Let me recast my question: I'm looking for a top-notch source for my Senn 600's and Corda HA-1 which also has progressive scan DVD. SACD & DVD-A not required. Budget < 3,500. Please advise. Thanks.
confused.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus B
As I read your comments & do some research, I am getting utterly lost. The Toshiba SD-3960 sells for under $100. How can that possibly equal (mod or not) in quality a Meridian 508 which seems to sell for over $3000???? I assume the Denon DVD-2900 is better than the HK DVD22 since it costs 5x more, and got some great reviews. Let me recast my question: I'm looking for a top-notch source for my Senn 600's and Corda HA-1 which also has progressive scan DVD. SACD & DVD-A not required. Budget < 3,500. Please advise. Thanks.
confused.gif

Check the impressions in this thread-

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...1&page=5&pp=25

Blumenco's comments are interesting in there. It seems that out of the box it's a handy CDP, but it is very moddable too - and after mods it really gets up there in quality.

Aug 28, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 9
ugh, budget less than 3500 hundred?

uh, buy a 99 dollar dvdp and a 3400 cdp. that should work.

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back