DVD HELP NEEDED (real frusterated)
Jul 8, 2006 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so I just hooked my samsung hd950 up to my Dell 2005fpw computer monitor via dvi using an hdmi-dvi cable supplied with the dvd player. The samsung screens work fine, but when I put a dvd in, I get a flashing blue and black. I have tried DVI Mode A & B, 420 p, 720p, and 1080i, and I still get a flashing blue. When I put some videos I burned myself (not pirated movies, don't worry, just some trailers and stuff I had in 720p/1080i), they play perfectly fine and they look very nice, probably nicer then playing them off my computer.

What can I do? Is there anything I can do? Must I live with the fact that until I get a tv, my dvd player won't playback dvd's on my computer monitor because of HDCP or something of the sort?

I have an HDMI switch coming that my friend sent out because I thought it'de work (before I encountered this crap.) I was going to hook my monitor (has dvi-d) to the switch using an hdmi-dvi cable, hook my computer to the switch using an hdmi-dvi cable, and my dvd player to the switch using an hdmi cable. Would this make any difference? I am really frusterated at the moment. I thought all this HDCP crap was only for blu-ray and hd-dvd.

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 7
Now I set the dvd player to digital output (dolby digital), and hooked it to the coaxial spdif line input on my pc. I have my speakers hooked up to my pc on the spdif output, and I can't seem to get DD, only PL II to work. Why doesn't it just pass the signal and output it to dolby digital? I have dolby digital output set on my pc too..

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 7
DVI-D and HDMI require a HDCP compliant HDTV. HDMI switch isn't gonna work. Dolby Digital requires a receiver with a coaxial S/PDIF or TOSLink jack and a Dolby Digital decoding chip too. Your soundcard only has the older Dolby Pro Logic II chip.

Duh.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 7
I am pretty sure it's because that Dell monitor, the 2005FPW, does not support HDCP. That's why the DVI connection will not give you the image. Unfortunately, your monitor doesn't have component inputs either, so you are stuck with either composite or S-video, and both won't get you progressive scan or the higher resolution.

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 7
There is always a work around, and I figured one out, but I can't discuss that here. Let's just say breaking the CP = a pretty quick fix.

Those bastards. Pardon my language, but HDCP is the stupidest crap since the invention of annoyances. My sound card can pass DD when I just have WINDVD open and my reciever on output. I'm just trying to get the SPDIF Input that is DD (in the corner of my screen when I play a dvd it pops up DD), to output DD on my spdif output and not Pro Logic.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 7
That is correct, you got to do what you got to do man. Moving on quickly! You think it is bad now with standard definition DVD-Video HDCP? Just you wait and see when HD-DVD and SONY Blue-Ray land in your home!

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
That is correct, you got to do what you got to do man. Moving on quickly! You think it is bad now with standard definition DVD-Video HDCP? Just you wait and see when HD-DVD and SONY Blue-Ray land in your home!

Damn straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back