DVD drive problem
Mar 28, 2004 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jonat8

New Head-Fier
I wonder if anyone could help me with this problem?

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with a CDRW/DVD combo drive.

My problem is that whenever I insert a DVD the drive seems to click for ages and take about a minute to spin the disc up. Then some more clicking for a minute or so before PowerDVD launches. And when the disc itself is playing it will often stutter, again with more clicking from the drive.

This happens on almost all the discs in my collection, including some I've only watched once! I've tried cleaning some of the discs but it didn't seem to have much effect.

Also, whenever I insert an Audio CD, the computer will not recognise it unless I reboot the computer with the disc in the drive. Data CDs read fine and I can burn CDs fine.

Both the DVD-Video and the Audio CD problems have only started up in the past 4-6 weeks.

Do you think this could be a defective drive? The computer is still under warranty but I am hesitatant to send it in for service, at least until I can get an external hard drive to back up my data!
eek.gif
Sorry, Sony, I wasn't implying that you'd lose my data but still...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mar 28, 2004 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 3
did you install any programs which might have changed file associations? (Like Nero, audio apps, media player 9, etc)

if this weren't XP I would suggest you check that DMA is set in your drive properties.

Mar 28, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 3
do you know the exact model of the cdrom that you can find a driver or upgrade firmware to?

how old is the dvd rom?

which operating system are you using?

you might need the new aspi driver, for cdrom burning:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...aspi_471a2.exe
(it will link to a page, not an exe file, don't ban me)

go to nero.com utility section to download the wnaspi32.dll file also

restart after installation.

i doubt these might fix it, but worth a try and its upgrading at the same time. formatting the computer is also an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back