DVD burnin' ?'s
Mar 19, 2005 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
I'd figure I'd come here to ask since I know and trust so many of you guys here on head-fi! So in your personal opinion, what are some of the best programs out there for burning DVD's...copy right protected and all the other mumbo jumbo (sorry if that's illegal to discuss). I know next to nothing about burning DVD's and would prefer a more simple program, but also one that is of high quality. Also, I don't know about pricing as far as what the norm is, but freeware is always good. However, I will pay if no such programs are available at all for free. My father and I just received a brand-new Dell computer with all the bells and whistles and we're simply trying to take advantage of all those bells and whistles. Any help and insight about these types of programs would be greatly appreciated!
biggrin.gif

600smile.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 12
to make BACKUPS of your OWN collection, you can use dvdshrink and dvddecrypter which are both freeware and readily available across the vast plains of the intarweb.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanx you guys for the recommendations. It is overwhelmeing to nothing about something and on top of that have a million different choices. Thanx again, it is appreciated
biggrin.gif
Anyone else have anything else to offer in the way of software (free or not free) that allows for duplicating DVD's?

Mar 20, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks Zep, am in a similar boat and was curious about the topic.

Question: What's the benetif of using both shrink and dvddecrypter? Don't they both do the same thing??? Or am I totally missing something?

Thanks!
Bruce

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 12
the easiest program that i have is DVD X Copy Gold, you click like 4 buttons and its starts burning JUST the movie without the special features or anything like that. But it also come with another program that lets you choose if you want to keep some of the special features or stuff like that, im not sure how hard it is to work cuz iv never used it.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BDA_ABAT
Thanks Zep, am in a similar boat and was curious about the topic.

Question: What's the benetif of using both shrink and dvddecrypter? Don't they both do the same thing??? Or am I totally missing something?

Thanks!
Bruce

There are some dvds that for some reason won't rip using dvdshrink.
For these rare occasions I use dvddecrypter and then run dvdshrink on the extracted files.

I have yet to find compatible dual layer media that works on my players.
(I have quite a few!)
So to get the best quality rips, you will have to remove any of the extras and additional languages so that the rip fits on a single layer disk.
Do a search here, there have been other threads discussing this.

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 12
For single DVD-R backups (may require some compression if original is dual layer):
DVD Shrink --> Nero

To span a dual layer original DVD over 2 DVD-R's (lossless / no compression):
DVD Decrypter --> DVD Fab --> Nero

DVD Fab does a good job of splitting the DVD in half. For the most part, the bonus material and as much of the movie as possible is kept on the first DVD. The second DVD will contain the remainder of the movie.

Apr 1, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Here is the guide to creating perfect copies of DVDs split onto 2 disks. You'll need 2 programs, DVD decrypter and Ifoedit. You'll find them on the internet.

copy dvds

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 12
DVD Shrink 3.0 for me.

Decrypter offers you more control of the ripping process and (some say) a slightly better quality rip but I love the interface of DVD Shrink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back