DVD Burners?
Apr 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Icarium

Headphoneus Supremus
Got all the parts in for my new computer and quickly realized I forgot I need a DVD burner.. anyone got a recommendation? Don't burn a lot of dvds, but would like something that rips/plays music well and is reliable and full featured.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 16
Ah good resource. The last couple I've bought have been pioneers. Also looking for the audiophile perspective. Alex Peychev of APL hifi recommended a particular Plextor to me a year ago but it was already out of production then. Gonna pick this noise up after work in ~an HR/30 minutes if I don't get enough input then will just roll with one of those samsung or pioneer

Apr 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 16
Yeah ended up getting another Pioneer. Was between that and a Samsung.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah good resource. The last couple I've bought have been pioneers. Also looking for the audiophile perspective. Alex Peychev of APL hifi recommended a particular Plextor to me a year ago but it was already out of production then. Gonna pick this noise up after work in ~an HR/30 minutes if I don't get enough input then will just roll with one of those samsung or pioneer

Plextor used to have some of the best drives on the market, but IIRC they switched to using rebranded OEM drives (BenQ, LG?), which is why all the recommended ones are already out of production..

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 16
I have a Pioneer DVD-R/DL and DVD-R burner and been having no problems with both of them.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 16
I had a Pioneer DVD-RW DL drive, it started refusing to burn cds, wouldn't always read discs and started making strange noises...
frown.gif

Pioneer USA - Support

It was a DVR-112D.

Good to see at least they did something about it in the US market, mine was out of the retailers 1 year warranty period and they're that cheap now it was easier just to bin it than bother with trying to get Pioneer to replace or fix it.

I switched to a Lite-on, that has been flawless up until I recently tried to rip a brand new cd and it had issues on one track... towards the very end it started skipping and getting pops... even just while trying to play it back.

I tried it in some reasonably old Kenwood and Pioneer players and it was completely fine.

So I'm going to be shopping for a new one soon.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Avoid TSST (Toshiba + Samsung) drives like the plague. I've had 5 of things break on me.

On a side note, if you don't burn DVD's that often maybe an external USB one might be good idea. Just plug it in when you need it?

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 16
I got to Plextors, no complaints so far...

May 30, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Got all the parts in for my new computer and quickly realized I forgot I need a DVD burner.. anyone got a recommendation? Don't burn a lot of dvds, but would like something that rips/plays music well and is reliable and full featured.

Dan,  with all the new SSD, Flash USB, terabytes Hard Drives,   who need a DVD now?!
wink_face.gif
      I don't even consider a Bluray burner for my new home PC.  All external Hard Drives or USB flash now.   For photo/video media,  SDXC rules.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back