DVD Audio on PC?
Oct 12, 2004 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tradja

100+ Head-Fier
Will a basic DVD-ROM drive on a PC play DVD audio?

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 13
With the right software. WinDVD6 will play DVD-A discs, but will downsample encrypted/encoded/copy protected discs to 16/48 (DVD-V audio quailty) unless you have an Audigy 2 ZS.

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
With the right software. WinDVD6 will play DVD-A discs, but will downsample encrypted/encoded/copy protected discs to 16/48 (DVD-V audio quailty) unless you have an Audigy 2 ZS.

Audigy 2 is enough for 24/192 output.

Oct 13, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on copy protection. Would it be possible to have both the Audigy 2ZS and the E-mu 1212m, connecting the digital-out from the Audigy 2ZS to the digital-in of the E-mu. And then running DVD-A using the Audigy 2ZS, but processing the signal through the DAC of the E-mu?

confused.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 13
the audigy 2's disable digital output when playing dvd-audio. that is the case at least when using creatives media source dvd-audio player that's bundled with it. when using windvd, i'm not sure. my guess would be that it does something similar to prevent people from recording dvd-audio.

Oct 13, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 13
in fact Audigy2 can handle 24/96 at max, 192 is just another marketing BS.. the licencing allows playback of DVD-A on computers max 48kHz which means they are all (except those not protected) downsampled, the second licence requirement is to switch off digital output when playing back encrypted content..

imho I think it's 24/48 downsampling, or at least I hope so..

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 13
the downsampling isn't done 100 percent of the time. it depends on the dvd-audio disc.
for example, The Who's Tommy Live on dvd-a contains 3 tracks: 5.1 at 24bit/96khz, stereo 24bit/192khz, and finally 16bit 44.1khz. I would imagine that when playing this particular disc in windvd6 it would play the 16bit track instead of down-sampling.

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
in fact Audigy2 can handle 24/96 at max, 192 is just another marketing BS..

Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:

the licencing allows playback of DVD-A on computers max 48kHz which means they are all (except those not protected) downsampled, the second licence requirement is to switch off digital output when playing back encrypted content..

imho I think it's 24/48 downsampling, or at least I hope so..

Are you sure about this? I thought A2 was the only card licensed to do 24/96 playback on analog outs. And this is exacly the reason why the digital outs get cut off [to meet the license]. Afaik, at 48khz the license allows digital out as well...

Oct 15, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 13
of course it's the anti-copy crap..

there's someone working on upgrade modules for universal players which will enable S/PDIF output at full resolution for all formats - CDDA, SACD, DVD-A.. all you'll need is some decent universal player (ie. Pioneer 563A) paired with some high end DAC with 24/192 or 24/96 input capability
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 13
ooooh, thats sound cool...... but i guess for only set top players?

could such not be achieved in a PC with software? I mean it is software that decodes it to PCM for output.

I've read a few peoples comments (other boards) about some 2ch rare 24/96 DAB (or DCD, DBD.... ahh can't member) discs feed to same full digital reciever..... comments where that such sound they had not heard from SACD before.... so 24/192 DVD-A should be good in this way.

ahhhh dream on
smily_headphones1.gif
hehe

Oct 16, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 13
If the amp section was digital then the DVD-A should sound better because the SACD would be going DSD -> Analog -> PCM -> Analog while the DVD-A would only be going PCM -> Analog.

Oct 17, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

If the amp section was digital then the DVD-A should sound better because the SACD would be going DSD -> Analog -> PCM -> Analog while the DVD-A would only be going PCM -> Analog.

Thats right currently (using PCM as the example) it goes

Transport (PCM) -> SPDIF -> Receiver/amp(PCM) -> PWM(amp) -> analogue(speaker posts)

SACD would bring in a DSD to PCM conversion. The Sony fully digital amps "apparently" uses a DSD conversion internally........ but as its always going to be PCM over SPDIF for eg then that another EXTRA stage again.

Then theres the talk that a reasonable amount of what is SACD is mixed on gear that is PCM....... which shoots the SACD supeior talk out the window
smily_headphones1.gif
well in this case
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back