DVD Audio on non DVD Audio Player
Jan 20, 2002 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jopi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there,

I've got a question here:

Does it make any sense to buy a DVD Audio without having a DVD Audio capable player? Looking at Audio DVDs in stores they all have DVD Video capable audio track, but is the sound any better than regular CD? Would I need a dts decoder?Why is it all so confusing? Why am I so stupid? (You don't have to answer the two last questions really)

Thanks
Joerg

Jan 20, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 3
Don't buy DVD-As unless you have or are planning very soon to buy a DVD-A player. No benefits and probably not even useable. Some may play on a DVD-Video player, but I don't think all will.

Other responses on that?

It's only complicated because you're new. Stick around this forum and you'll learn more than you'll ever want to know, about almost everything.

No you aren't stupid. Uneducated isn't stupid. If you were stupid, you wouldn't have found this forum to ask questions. However, getting involved in a hobby such as this may not be the smartest thing you'll ever do.

Welcome to Head-Fi and the world of better audio. And then another upgrade. And then another upgrade.

Jan 21, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Does it make any sense to buy a DVD Audio without having a DVD Audio capable player?

Yes. For example, I have two (Philip Glass Koyaanisqatsi and Blue Man Group Audio). You can listen to these tracks in surround sound, if you have a home theater setup.

Now, on the other hand, don't. They're all watermarked, and we should boycott watermarking. Do whut I say, not whut I do. Quote:

Looking at Audio DVDs in stores they all have DVD Video capable audio track, but is the sound any better than regular CD?

Yes and no. They're usually surround, which technically is more information, but it's not like it's higher fidelity or anything. Quote:

Would I need a dts decoder?

Only if the DVD-Video portion of the disc (it's completely separate) is DTS-encoded. Quote:

Why is it all so confusing?

Um...because they suck? They kind of remind me of that fast-talking salesman who's trying to confuse you into not being able to figure out why his product isn't better. That's not the way corporations should work -- they should look at the long term, and in the long term, the educated consumer is their best consumer. Quote:

Why am I so stupid?

You are not stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back