DVD-Audio encryption circumvented!
Jul 6, 2005 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
Slashdot had this story posted on their main page.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12061

It seems that the encryption for dvd-a has been circumvented letting you rip the audio stream to disk. With the format war going on between sacd and dvd-a, does this sound the death knell for the format?

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 7
From the way it reads, you'd still have to have an audigy card to output full resolution. I have used both PowerDVD and WinDVD and while they will read the MLP files, they only output a 48/16 stream to the E-MU.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“With the format war going on between sacd and dvd-a, does this sound the death knell for the format?”

I thought both sacd and dvd-a had died already?

Mitch

SACD is alive and well for classical fans. I predict, now that there is no benefit to DVD-A, that SACD will triumph. Granted that they are both niche products, but SACD is more compatible in hybrid form, which means more people will buy the discs. DVD-A was a nice try, and great as it was formerly unbreakable, but now, it's another Betamax experiment.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
SACD is alive and well for classical fans. I predict, now that there is no benefit to DVD-A, that SACD will triumph. Granted that they are both niche products, but SACD is more compatible in hybrid form, which means more people will buy the discs. DVD-A was a nice try, and great as it was formerly unbreakable, but now, it's another Betamax experiment.

It's still not really broken, all this does is allow you to store the data on your hdd rather than on the disc. DVD-A will only be "broken" when we can strip away the key which will allow us to playback the files with any software (such as foobar) at full resolution regardless of soundcard (as long as it's capable of that level of output resolution).

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 7
I kind of agree with Jasper994: DVD-Audio encryption CPPM is not truly cracked and the data is nowhere near exportable to different storage and playback platforms. At best, this is a hack that can not be reproduced by others especially when people decide to upgrade to the latest versions of WinDVD. It will become a genuine crack when someone can access the encrypted data, figure out the keys and decyrption algorithm, and export that data onto a different playback platform; by the way, that result must be reproducible or it must be considered a fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back