dvd-a or sacd
Jan 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by macrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its like going back to the old Beta VHS video tape wars. Beta was the better format but lost out due to politics.

DVD-A is superior in performance to SACD (and yes I have owned both) but SACD is the easier format to find music on (and thus has to be the winner)

Bluray audio is just another marketing scam to suck in consumers into rebuying music they already have.

I prefer downloading hirez recordings from the likes of Linn. I would very much like to see more high resolution subscription download services available.

Lets face it CD should sound awful per its technical specs (e.g. 150KB/sec) and yet it can sound surprisingly good.

Regards

Macrog

I would like to get into downloads as that seems to be the future, but the now is that I have about 8 or 9000 cds I would like to enjoy along with the many new releases still coming out, and am eager to hear ri-rez music. Still uneasy & uniformed about aspects of computer based music as well, like durability, user-friendliness and setup-ease.
So I believe I still need a player that can make my cds sound as good as possible and play some hi-rez formats as well.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #62 of 71
Wow, I have 2700 CDs and it's driving my wife crazy. I'm curious how you store them. I'm currently getting rid of the jewel cases and putting them in plastics sleeves from Jazz Loft.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by billyearle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to get into downloads as that seems to be the future, but the now is that I have about 8 or 9000 cds I would like to enjoy along with the many new releases still coming out, and am eager to hear ri-rez music. Still uneasy & uniformed about aspects of computer based music as well, like durability, user-friendliness and setup-ease.
So I believe I still need a player that can make my cds sound as good as possible and play some hi-rez formats as well.

A network Attached Storage unit would securely store all your music and with raid features will not lose all your music if a drive fails.

Obviously keep the CDs and store them somewhere dry.

The initial ripping of CDs is the only hassle. It took me about 4-6 weeks to rip all mine. Computer as controller is great. Being able to access any track instantly is addictive and multiple playlists to match your mood or random play are great.

Macrog

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I have 2700 CDs and it's driving my wife crazy. I'm curious how you store them. I'm currently getting rid of the jewel cases and putting them in plastics sleeves from Jazz Loft.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Oh, I just take up all the wall space in the apartment with shelves everywhere. It is a constant challange keeping my 21 moth old boy away from them with various makeshift barriers.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by macrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A network Attached Storage unit would securely store all your music and with raid features will not lose all your music if a drive fails.

Obviously keep the CDs and store them somewhere dry.

The initial ripping of CDs is the only hassle. It took me about 4-6 weeks to rip all mine. Computer as controller is great. Being able to access any track instantly is addictive and multiple playlists to match your mood or random play are great.

Macrog

This gives me hope that I will eventually go computer based, but I think I dont have time to figure it all out and rip my whole collection before moving in 6 months.
Further, since it appears you think I oughta hold on to my CDs anyway, I think I will be getting a Luxman SACD player this week, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #66 of 71
It'll take more than 6 months to rip 9000 cds. I originally ripped my cds to either MP3 or AAC and it took me 6 months to do 1200 or so. For the last 2 and half years, I've been reripping to lossless. Unless you just accept what the ripping tool's database gives you for metadata, it's pretty time consuming.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

It'll take more than 6 months to rip 9000 cds. I originally ripped my cds to either MP3 or AAC and it took me 6 months to do 1200 or so. For the last 2 and half years, I've been reripping to lossless. Unless you just accept what the ripping tool's database gives you for metadata, it's pretty time consuming.

Thanks, that's another reason I've resisted going computer, I just don't have much time since breeding. I am not deadset against it, but the technology seems to be evolving so fast, I think there may be an upside to my procrastinating nature.
Still looking for suggestions on solid state SACD or Universal players, but Luxman D-05 is still my frontrunner, and may order it tomorrow.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #68 of 71
Quote:

I used 3 computers with 2 optical drives on each to cue rips and ripped directly to NAS. I put coloured stickers on any that were not identified correctly to correct later.

It worked fine for me. Yes I only have a couple of thousand though.

Macrog

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #69 of 71
Well, you don't have to do it all at once. I ripped my Beatles boxed set (13 discs) in one evening, but that's probably the most discs I'd ever bother with in a single day. Just start with some of your favorites. Or, you could just decide to rip a disc the next time you feel like listening to it. That way, it would be years before you get around to some of them, and you may find that you don't have to rip every last one.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #71 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibertus Jeunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since dvd-a are dead...

Unless you already own some. I have one DVD-A only album and a few dual discs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back