DVD-A & Eric Johnson
May 22, 2003 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scottpaul_iu

500+ Head-Fier
At first I was very skeptical, but now I am a believer. After listening to elrod-tom's dvd-a player at the Detroit meet and his ELP BSS DVD-A disc. I figured I would investigate DVD-A. So I sold some gear and got a Denon DVD-2900 universal disc palyer. The Denon player is good for DVD-A and SACD. The redbook is okay but not quite as good as my recently departed Rega Planet 2000.

I got to hand it to markl and elrod-tom, DVD-A is really a great medium. I have several DVD-A's. The one that blew me away was Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom. Listening to the CD version for the last 13 years I always thought that some of what he was doing was from one or two guitar tracks. DVD-A clued me into how many tracks he really has. Not only that but I can hear if he is using a different guitar, amps and effects. Incredible.

The other defining moment was listening to Queen's The Game. You can tell that Freddie's vocals and background vocals were recorded in different studios on some tracks. I heard guitar parts that I could never discern before.

I was skeptical because markl is so persuasive when he writes. But DVD-A is the real deal.

Thanks markl and elrod-tom.

May 22, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 5
scottpaul_iu,
Glad it worked out for you. DVD-A is awesome. As I recall there are two versions of this DVD-A. One done with the artist and an earlier version done without his participation that he forced them to do over. No idea how to tell one from another unless the credits list his involvement.

By all means please post more impressions of the Denon universal, I bet there are lots of people who would love to hear more about this player. Let it break in, who knows, it might come closer to the Rega on CDs.

I also recommend checking out the new Fleetwood Mac album Say You Will and Buena Vista Social Club DVD-As. These are absolutely amazing both musically and sonically-- a revelation. i haven't heard it yet (but I own the CD), but if you are into great guitar players/songwriters, Richard Thompson's 1996 album Rumor and Sigh is also avail on DVD-A. Cheers.

Mark

May 22, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 5
P.S. remember when we used to argue here about the merits of the new formats?
tongue.gif
So much nay-saying from folks who hadn't even heard them! i guess this argument has been settled now.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Markl,

I got the one that Eric was happy with.
I have the Fleetwood Mac, Ry Cooder and Thompson ones as well.
Deep Purple is probably not up your alley, but I got Machine Head too. I heard things that I never knew that Blackmore (guitar) was doing as well as Jon Lord (keys).

Vocals are incredible with DVD-A. On most recordings I get the sense of the performer being there in front of me. You can really hear how well someone can sing.

It is like massive layers of sheen are being removed.

As far as redbook, the damn DVD-As, SACDs won't let me stop playing them.
I also have the FM Rumours, Eagle HC, Steely Dan 2AN, Fagen The Nightly on DVD-A.

The Denon player and XM radio have really cranked up my audio enjoyment in the last 2 months. I was getting burned out, but now my interest is stoked.

Now I hear that DVD-A may become backwards compatible with CDs.

Good stuff.

I was a skeptic, but now I am a true believer.

May 22, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
P.S. remember when we used to argue here about the merits of the new formats?
tongue.gif
So much nay-saying from folks who hadn't even heard them! i guess this argument has been settled now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I do. I was one of those a-holes on the DVD-A format. I was completely wrong.

I may like DVD-A more than SACD.

Damn head-fi meets, they always empty my wallet out.

Thanks again markl and elrod-tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back