DVD-A Digital Output
Oct 9, 2004 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aug1516

Head-Fier
I know that on any device capable of DVD-A playback, the digital outputs are disabled or will only output the lower resolution audio track due to copy protection enforcement. I did a search through the forum and did find some talk of re-routing the digital audio inside a DVD-A player to a digital transmitter instead of the internal DAC. This would esentially give you a 2 channel stereo full-resolution DVD-A signal that could be decoded by any external DAC and even recorded back into a computer. I remember Glassman specifically had talked about this and maybe one other. Has anyone pulled this off yet? If this actually worked, then it's possible one could purchase a $70 Audigy 2 ZS and with a little modification have DVD-A digital output from it when used with the appropriate WinDVD software.

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 8
I wasn't going to respond with my limited research on this, (which was more out of curiosity than anything else). I know there are folks here that have more knowledge on this subject.

I found a couple of older references to some hardware solutions that people were working on. Considering the fact that a commercial solution would fly in the face of lawsuits, all you're going to find is DIY projects. Also consider the fact that alot of folks simple don't want to talk about there personal "dark" projects on an open forum.

From what I can remember from those meager references to a hardware solution, the undertaking was very daunting. There were several references to exotic rigs and modded parts which quickly lead me to believe that this would be a "hardcore" DIY with advanced knowledge in electronics.

Folks here are welcome to correct me in those assumptions. I just hated seeing this question-thread unanswered. I've always been curious about this subject.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't know much about audio electronics on the PCB level but it really doesn't seem like it should be that hard. The audio is sent digitally to the DAC, so if you take that digital information and send it through a digital transmitter instead, you should have yourself a stereo DVD-A signal. If you actually wanted the full 5.1 things would get more complicated but for high quality stereo I don't see why that would work. Of course maybe the data going to the DAC is not in a format that can be sent to a digital transmitter right away, I really don't know that much about these kind of things. I think I'll pick up an Audigy 2 and see how it's setup on the board.

Oct 15, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 8
there's someone working on upgrade modules for universal players which will enable S/PDIF output at full resolution for all formats - CDDA, SACD, DVD-A.. all you'll need is some decent universal player (ie. Pioneer 563A) paired with some high end DAC with 24/192 or 24/96 input capability
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
there's someone working on upgrade modules for universal players which will enable S/PDIF output at full resolution for all formats - CDDA, SACD, DVD-A.. all you'll need is some decent universal player (ie. Pioneer 563A) paired with some high end DAC with 24/192 or 24/96 input capability
wink.gif

Got any more info on that?

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 8
The MSB Network mod for CD/DVD-A players will take a 192K feed. It's their proprietary mod, and it uses a network cable connector. It takes your PCM signal, upsamples as needed to 192K, and sends it to the DAC.

Don't know if that helps or not...good luck.

Oct 17, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aug1516
Got any more info on that?

available when available, no ETA whatsoever, will be announced, no need to worry
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back