DV3322
Dec 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

applevalleyjoe

100+ Head-Fier
Would anyone like to share their thoughts on their DV3322. How does it compare to the DV336 series and/or the WOO 3/3+/6?

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 14
Received my DARKVOICE 3322 this morning. Bought it through Boyier.com - agents for DARKVOICE - because it was the cheapest: £275 compared to £325 on E-Bay (excluding shipping).

However, I won't be able to hear it until Christmas, a present from the "ball and chain." But what I can say is that there is a noticeable jump in build quality over the 332 (which I own): it's very well constructed of brushed aluminium, sturdy and heavy, and in my books very, very pretty. A nice touch are the two blue LEDs at each side of the transformer housing. It's smaller than I expected, which adds to its appeal.

Also good to see is the quality of the tube sockets: a problem for some with the 332, including myself, was lack of grip of the socket on the pins of the tube. But on the 3322 the socket seems to grip the tube much better. The power switch - which some have had trouble with on other models like the FIGARO and 337se - is fitted on the top of the amp, below the transformer housing, and as such may be less likely to break during transit.

All and all, very impressed with build and aesthetics. As to sound quality, well, that'll have to wait.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Ohh, what a nice Christmas you have there Godkin!

It'd be great if you could do some comparative review of the two, since you know the 332 pretty well and 3322 uses the same kind of tubes. Your impressions will help a lot of folks here get better ideas about how well the so-called "upgraded" model perform.

BTW, this one has dual mono control, right?

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 14
It's torture, PrTv, torture. But I'll post a review after Christmas, and of course I'll compare both the 332 and the 3322. But as I said, in terms of build quality the 3322 is better - I mean the 332 wasn't bad, but its successor is more "professsional."

Yes, dual volume controls. Sweet!
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Nice present! My other half has bought me a Crown Graphic large format camera (assuming Santa doesn't think I've been bad all year
wink.gif
).

I also look forward to your review, Godkin.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's torture, PrTv, torture. But I'll post a review after Christmas, and of course I'll compare both the 332 and the 3322. But as I said, in terms of build quality the 3322 is better - I mean the 332 wasn't bad, but its successor is more "professsional."

biggrin.gif

Congrats Gary....Looking forward to your impressions...

Jesse

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

Did you get hit for any UK import duty & VAT charges.

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Godkin;5158905 said:
Received my DARKVOICE 3322 this morning. Bought it through Boyier.com - agents for DARKVOICE - because it was the cheapest: £275 compared to £325 on E-Bay (excluding shipping). ...

QUOTE]

Hey godkin is that the right website, maybe the site is down atm. BTW where in Norn Iron are you, i'm in Cookstown.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Anadin, when the tracking info said the 3322 had arrived in England and had been handed over to customs, I thought I would be in for a heavy fee. But it was released very quickly - none of the horror stories associated with US customs - and when the postman arrived NO customs or VAT to pay.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oublie, don't try to order through the Boyier site, it's pretty much useless for buying. If you're interested in pursuing it further, contact: zhoulin81@163.com. They're good to deal with, though they do take longer to post than, say, buying through E-Bay. But, once posted, it arrived very quickly and it was better packaged, plus it's a good bit cheaper. Yeah, fellow "Norn Iron" man: from Larne, Co. Antrim.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Don't know how the 3322 will sound, Anadin, but the 332 was a great amp and I expect the 3322, with the Vishay/Roderstein capacitors and resistors, to better it. As I already said, it looks a lot better: I mean, it was pretty in the pics but in the flesh it is even prettier. More substantial too: the 332 weighed in at an impressive 4.5kg, the 3322 is about 6.0kg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back