DV3322 vs Audiotailor Jade
Mar 8, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #16 of 23
dBs: good morning. take your time......there is a meet on the 21st in D.C. and since I have some of the same phones (almost:Senn650,AKG701,BeyerDT990 :600) I am going to compair as much as I can also. I'm interested, like others, in this process.
But the important thing I think is to read first and ask as much as possible and then make that important purchase when your satisfied. IMO it's not did I make the right choice, but I'm glad I did chose this one... best of luck

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 23
Speaking about DV332, I agree that it's a very solid amp. I'm still amazed by how well it performs against more expensive amps. And it can do that without having to use expensive tubes (a pair of high-grade 6S19P and 6AK5 doesn't set you back by a hundred of dollar like a pair of 12AU7, 12AX7 or 6NS7).

Only one drawback is that, the amp seems to perform at its best with HD580/600/650, but, to me, fails miserably with other lower impedance headphones (ATH, AKG, and Grado come to mind).

To me, I wouldn't sell it so long as I still have my HD650.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiorapture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dBs: good morning. take your time......there is a meet on the 21st in D.C. and since I have some of the same phones (almost:Senn650,AKG701,BeyerDT990 :600) I am going to compair as much as I can also. I'm interested, like others, in this process.
But the important thing I think is to read first and ask as much as possible and then make that important purchase when your satisfied. IMO it's not did I make the right choice, but I'm glad I did chose this one... best of luck

At this point I'm pretty committed to the 3322 or 337. Unless someone comes up with one that they feel is definitively better while being in the same price range (new or used), it will be one of those two. Which one in particular will be determined in large part by the shipping costs since I can only get the 337 overseas.

Do you know if both the '09 337 (not SE) and 3322 will be "in attendance" at the meet?

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 23
X2 on PrTv comments.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 23
I got quotes for shipping from both now. I think I'm going to go with the 337. I have been looking very seriously at designing my own tube amp from the ground up and making a DIY kit (open source) out of it for anyone ambitious enough to give it a try. For me to really be able to judge the success of that endeavor, I need to measure my result/s against a staple high quality amp in the tube world. There aren't many tube amps more staple and high quality than the 337. Plus, as I would like to make the design a precursor or part of a business (protect myself in case someone burns down their house due to my DIY design), I can count the 337 as a business write off XD

I also plan to take the amp I design and make a couple extras that I would send out on a loaner program on here =D A little giving back to the community kind of thing.

I will sleep on my amp decision, but I would say that my mind is pretty made up at this point.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #21 of 23
dBs: I'm sorry as there may be many changes in the next two weeks. Who knows, it might even snow and everything might be cancelled. But congrats on a very well received and reviewed amp. I looked at that Double Helix site and they have it going very well. Now some things for me to consider. My next area to check out are the power cords. All the best dBs...

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm going to go with the 337 ... I will sleep on my amp decision, but I would say that my mind is pretty made up at this point.

Well, I'm certainly not going to talk you out of it!

Congratulations! I'm confident you'll love it. I have to listen to mine every day, I just haven't got the willpower to leave it alone. To say I'm pleased with the sound is an understatement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back